Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Grandparent money

(11 Posts)
Imogenblue Fri 30-Dec-16 00:48:41

Hi, not sure where to post this but hoping to get an idea of if I'm being silly or not.

My MIL has never met my LO (due to reasons I'm sure I'll post about at some point) and yet after speaking to her recently she has offered to put money into an account for them each month.

Background info: she's threatened us with legal action for not letting her see her grandchild previously and I'm concerned that accepting money from her would count in her favour if legal action were to be taken in the future.

Should I just take the money and save it for the future or is it a bad idea?

Redglitter Fri 30-Dec-16 00:50:49

I wouldn't accept it but if she wants to put the money away herself every month that's up to her

HerodZackHunt Fri 30-Dec-16 00:55:28

If she wants to do it for them tax free then your DH could co-sign paperwork and take ID into a branch to allow her to open an account to save for them.
I don't believe saving some money (that she has control of) constitutes any form of established relationship.

Imogenblue Fri 30-Dec-16 00:55:37

That's what I was thinking, that way we've not accepted it as such. Maybe just telling her to put it in savings for them would make her feel better.
Then how we go about asking for it for them in the future is another issue.

Astro55 Fri 30-Dec-16 00:57:36

They just need an account opened and she can have the details to put money in

My DC Have accounts and this is how I do it - it doesn't have to benlinked to her

Imogenblue Fri 30-Dec-16 01:00:22

I think I'll see if we can do that then, as long as it doesn't interfere with the legal side I don't mind so much as I'm not sure about her seeing them.

Astro55 Fri 30-Dec-16 01:02:43

I don't think grandparent had rights - unless they'd provide a certain amount of childcare for a long period -

It's an odd request - she could save for them and not tell them couldn't she?

Imogenblue Fri 30-Dec-16 01:05:48

I don't believe she does, especially as they've never met. I was just concerned that accepting money would affect this in some way - like her helping with him or something.

Manumission Fri 30-Dec-16 06:13:24

I wouldn't cooperate in any way with this if you're refusing access.

Not providing bank details, birth certificate or any information or discussion.

I would worry about it being raised in a legal case and it would feel like a compromised position to me generally; A contradiction or an appearance of a contradiction in my own stance.

RedHelenB Fri 30-Dec-16 10:54:08

I would leave it. By helping her save for them then you are acknowledging her role as Grandparent. When they are adults she can contact them and give them whatever money she wants.

Imogenblue Fri 30-Dec-16 21:16:26

I thought that too, if I'm in a way showing and helping them to give my child money then I shouldn't have a problem with them seeing their grandparent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now