Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How can I see what benefits I could claim?

(10 Posts)
loulily27 Tue 27-Dec-16 16:56:23

Hi, I am currently on maternity leave with my second child. I went back to work full time after my first so I would get full time maternity pay with my second. I won't be having any more children so I am wondering what to do when I have to go back to work. My husband works full time. I would ideally like to work part time but this depends on if we could afford it. I would have them both in childcare as oldest would still only be 2 so may make more sense to work less rather than pay out loads childcare. Is there any way I can find out what amount of benefits I could get with different hypothetical situations I.e if I worked 2 days or 3 days a week, without actually making a claim? I have never claimed benefits before (apart from child benefit) so I don't really know where to start! Thanks

lornathewizzard Tue 27-Dec-16 17:08:54

If you search for Martin Lewis Entitled To it will bring up a form that you can put your details in and it will give you an idea of what you could claim

loulily27 Tue 27-Dec-16 18:37:23

THankyou x

Oldsu Thu 29-Dec-16 01:24:11

You cant claim benefits on your own if you are part of a couple married or otherwise all income based benefits have to be assessed on household income which of course will include your husbands salary, so its more a case of what benefits your household will be entitled to not you personally not a case of what can I get but what can we get.

MinnowAndTheBear Thu 29-Dec-16 01:29:25

The only thing you might be entitled to is Working Tax Credit. If your husband works full time and earns more than minimum wage, you'll likely get nothing at all.
You will get Child Benefit.

Oldsu Thu 29-Dec-16 01:53:56

Minnow you cant claim WTC as a single person if part of a couple

MinnowAndTheBear Thu 29-Dec-16 06:53:29

Where did I suggest that the OP claims as a single person?

MissWimpyDimple Thu 29-Dec-16 07:05:36

You probably won't get working tax credits but depending on your household income you might get child tax credits with a childcare element.

To be honest though with two people working it's not likely you will get much.

Do you rent or own?

Without knowing even rough figures it's hard to speculate.

Entitled to should help.

Oldsu Thu 29-Dec-16 07:10:49

Minnow sorry I misunderstood as you said YOU might be entitled to WTC it should have been your household might be entitled to WTC for clarity

lovelearning Thu 29-Dec-16 07:12:46

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: