Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity leave

(3 Posts)
rholmes140 Mon 26-Dec-16 20:21:25

I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant but I can't stop thinking about maternity leave. I'm really worried that I'm going to struggle money wise. I've calculated my debt and I can easily pay the minimum payments (interest free) but I'm still worrying. Does anyone have any money tips or tips on how they coped. I really want to take a year off. If I don't use all my holiday before I go can I carry it over to the end of my leave? Thanks smile

Babyroobs Tue 27-Dec-16 15:16:36

You will accrue leave while you are on maternity leave which will help. I think it's just a matter of trying to save as much as possible before you go on mat leave. Also remember that you won't have travel expenses, lunches etc so your costs may be less. I was only able to take 6 months maximum with 3 of my pregnancies it just wasn't possible to afford a full year.

pestov Tue 27-Dec-16 15:27:54

Speak to your employer or look in your handbook. Rules and payments can vary wildly, but most make you take all holiday as you accrue whilst off.

That said, you need to get into your head that a whole year is likely to be unaffordable, especially if you're Thinking about going part time on your return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now