Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What benefits am I entitled too?

(8 Posts)
peppa101 Wed 21-Dec-16 18:25:17

I'm a single mum with a two year old I private rent and earn less that £10000 a year what benefits am I entitled too? I currently claim child tax credit and child benefit!

Gallavich Wed 21-Dec-16 18:27:00

You are probably entitled to some local housing allowance too. When you apply don't forget to submit childcare receipts as they will knock that off the income they use to calculate your benefit. Otherwise you're getting everything.

LoveFactually Wed 21-Dec-16 18:28:35

I think thats it unless you are ill or disabled. Unless you are actively looking for a job then jobseekers is something you can claim.
Income support is only for people with a child under one years old.

Also universal credit might be in your area now. Which is also only available if you are looking for work.

Gallavich Wed 21-Dec-16 18:32:51

Both income support and Jobseeker's Allowance are for people not in work so not the op

drinkyourmilk Wed 21-Dec-16 18:35:50

You can check on Turn2Us website.

Rockchick1984 Wed 21-Dec-16 23:50:06

Depending on your hours per week you may also be eligible for working tax credits, you have to be doing at least 16 hours per week (24 if in a couple) to qualify for this.

You should be getting some housing benefit if you are renting, and possibly some council tax benefit

SortAllTheThings Thu 22-Dec-16 00:10:09

You'd be entitled to the childcare element of tax credits as well. Your two year old would also get funded hours.

All assuming you work at least 16 hours.

SortAllTheThings Thu 22-Dec-16 00:11:23

Don't forget single persons discount on council tax, and you may also be entitled to help paying your council tax. Your local council website should have details

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now