Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits/housing benefit/job

(7 Posts)
cometprancerdancer Sun 18-Dec-16 07:47:33

Nc for this as don't want to put myself.

I am a single mum and have 2dc I have currently been in and out of hospital due to gyno problems but seemed to be improving so applied for a job in home care.
Anyways I was offered the job so I went to fill in all the forms and signed a hmrc form can't remember what it was called. However later that day they informed me that the hours they wanted me to do were totally different to the ones agreed at the interview.

So I therefore had to say it was impossible for me to do the job due to not being able to fulfill the hours. Them admitting their mistake and left it at that. However my question is what was this hmrc form the got me to fill in and will they have told hmrc I am starting this job with them even though it's now fallen through. I wasn't due to start until mid January anyways. I can't bear to think that I will have my tax credits and housing benefit stopped over the xmas period.

Help please

baggysoobs Sun 18-Dec-16 07:51:48

I would have thought the hmrc form was just to do with taxing your earnings. For the most part tax credits and h benefit rely on claimants telling them directly of a change in circumstances.
I wouldn't worry.

cometprancerdancer Sun 18-Dec-16 08:02:27

Thanks for your reply.
I do worry a lot and suffer with anxiety due to my ongoing gyno problems. So I sometimes totally overthink situations. I have emailed the employer to check what the form was. So hopefully nothing to worry about. Thankyou

vj32 Sun 18-Dec-16 08:13:09

It was almost certainly a form saying that you have not worked so far this year - you will have had to tick a box and then sign. Its about how their payroll department should tax you, nothing to worry about.

cometprancerdancer Sun 18-Dec-16 08:42:25

Yes vj I did tick a box. So what are these used for? Do they send them to hmrc?

vj32 Mon 19-Dec-16 11:05:00

I don't know if they submit them to HMRC or if they just have to have one (I can ask my DH as he does some payroll). But if they didn't get as far as putting you on payroll then I don't think they will have done anything with it.

DiegeticMuch Mon 19-Dec-16 18:30:47

You have nothing to worry about.

The "new starter" form you signed, which had boxes A, B and C on it, has the purpose of ensuring that you are taxed correctly when you're first paid, at which point the employer informs HMRC (online) that you are working for them - when your first pay slip is generated, the submission to HMRC is generated. You didn't commence the job, however, so there will be no pay slip and no submission to HMRC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now