Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debts and assets

(4 Posts)
CurlyWurlyCatcher Thu 15-Dec-16 18:21:38

I have a question - so I think I have come to a point where I am going to have to take serious action with my debts, due to things outside of my control they have spiralled and I am in way over my head now. I owe about £6000 in total, over a store card (stupid idea back when I first turned 18, 8 years ago now), an overdraft and a credit card.
We have a house with a mortgage, everything is in my partner's name as he was the sole earner when we bought the house and I was just doing part time work around our children.
I don't own a car or anything of any value - so my question is, if I can't repay my debts and make repayment plans etc, none of these companies can touch the house can they? Although I have lived here 6 years, we are not married and my name isn't on any paperwork.
This is the only thing holding me back from taking the next step, so any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Notreallyhappy Fri 16-Dec-16 16:44:45

Drowning in debt and cannot talk to people in Real Life? A problem shared is a problem brought into perspective - come and join the lens.888

Ask here they're very clever and knowledgeable on these things

Notreallyhappy Fri 16-Dec-16 16:46:37

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/legal_money_matters/2465435-Drowning-in-debt-and-cannot-talk-to-people-in-Real-Life-A-problem-shared-is-a-problem-brought-into-perspective-come-and-join-the-lens
Link didn't work

SwearyGodmother Fri 16-Dec-16 16:51:55

If you were to go bankrupt then it might be argued you have an implied beneficial interest in the property, but your debts aren't high enough to require bankruptcy, you could do a DRO instead. Until you go bankrupt it would be extremely unlikely for a creditor to be able to go after your property because it's not yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now