Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My ex husband will only pay 50% towards all baby stuff

(12 Posts)
ginasmith Thu 15-Dec-16 13:35:27

I broke up with my husband and left him the marital home, I am currently staying with my parents. I had to give up my job and currently only receiving maternity allowance to get me and this child through. My ex has his own house and works full time and earns good money. Is it fair that he only pays 50% towards pram/baby stuff whilst he is making money, and I am broke because I had to leave my job and still have to pay 50%?

Underthemoonlight Thu 15-Dec-16 13:37:44

I suppose you both made the baby so endure the costs equally could you apply for a grant? Or buy a second hand pram with the money he gives you?

Sparlklesilverglitter Thu 15-Dec-16 13:42:27

Are you expecting him to buy everything?

You did both make the baby and I think half each of pram/cot or 1 buying the pram 1 buying the cot is fair

zippey Thu 15-Dec-16 13:45:11

You should get half the marital home and child support money once the baby comes.

AyeAmarok Thu 15-Dec-16 13:46:45

You will get child maintenance when the baby is born, so if you're not working and he is, he'll be paying a lot more than 50%.

SelfCleaningVagina Thu 15-Dec-16 13:48:08

Why did you leave him your share of the family home? Or is there no money in it to make it worth selling and splitting or him buying you out?

Without knowing a bit more about the reasons for the break up of the relationship it's difficult to make a judgement but on the face of it I don't think it's unreasonable for him to pay 50 % for the things your baby needs, no.

KneeQuestion Thu 15-Dec-16 13:48:28

Is he saying he will only buy 'things' and not make regular child support payments?

if so he is not being reasonable.

www.gov.uk/calculate-your-child-maintenance

Arfarfanarf Thu 15-Dec-16 13:51:03

when the baby is born, pursue child maintenance.

But yes, I think 50% of the cost of buying things for the baby you created together is not unreasonable.

I hope in the divorce you will get a reasonable amount from the marital home. Don't be screwed over!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 15-Dec-16 13:54:07

50% would be what I would hope for, and yes to pursuing child maintenance once the baby is born to help you.

Ellisandra Thu 15-Dec-16 14:05:22

If I am corectly assuming the timing - that you are pregnant and that he is still your husband - then you really are focusing on the wrong thing.

Who pays what for a pram is small potatoes.

Why do you say you've left him the marital home? I sincerely hope you only mean 'left him in it'.

Have you started divorce proceedings yet?
What have you both discussed about financial settlement?
Why did you give up your job?

Baby stuff comes for free on recycling or very low cost on eBay / Facebook / charity shops.

I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable for him to pay 50% of those things whilst you sort of finances. You could be rent free with your parents whilst he's covering your share of the mortgage on a house you will get a share of on divorce, for example.

If he's the type to fight over the cost of baby things, then you really need to focus on the bigger battles: maintenance and financial settlement.

Louw12345 Thu 29-Dec-16 00:59:58

Take the 50% better than nothing. You don't have to go mad buying expensive things that rwally does not last that long. We only need the basics bottles/milk nappies vests sleep suits moses basket and pram. Your family and friends can buy clothes 3 months +. Iv seen people spend hundreds on the new born to sell unworn clothe's for a fraction of the price paid.

AgentProvocateur Thu 29-Dec-16 01:02:16

Yes, 50% is fair

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now