Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can they reject my housing application

(6 Posts)
butterfly92 Thu 15-Dec-16 13:22:14

I have just had an interview with a housing officer for a house and because my partner is not in work at the moment nor is he claiming benefits because he is not entitled to it and also he is looking for work, they think i will not be able to afford to live there with my partner and 2 month old in tow. We are in a one bedroom shared house!! She said they are likely to reject me. Is this allowed? Especially with a baby and we are living in one poxy room and shared facilities!! I am petrified!! I really really want this so badly.

LottieL Thu 15-Dec-16 13:36:50

Why isn't your partner entitled to benefits if he's out of work?

Manumission Thu 15-Dec-16 13:45:03

No recourse to public funds, maybe?

Is it an HA or a council house OP?

Social landlords have more freedom to do this now (a Cameron initiative) but they have to follow certain parameters and implement their own written letting policy fairly.

As a first step I'd check the policy.

madmadamemim Thu 15-Dec-16 13:49:33

If they take your partner out of the equation are you eligible for housing benefit/UC? If so then they might consider you as a sole tenant?

Rockchick1984 Fri 16-Dec-16 20:02:29

How would you afford it if your partner doesn't have an income?

abbsisspartacus Fri 16-Dec-16 20:04:09

Move in without your partner? He can stay in the shared house for the interim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now