We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any solicitors in here that can help advise me?

(3 Posts)
debbs77 Tue 29-Nov-16 17:45:47

I need desperate advice regarding my ex husband being declared bankrupt, and him jointly owning my house! Please please please

Ellisandra Tue 29-Nov-16 23:35:32

If you can't afford to see a solicitor, contact CAB or Shelter for advice.

When someone goes bankrupt, the Official Receiver is allowed to force the sale of their house even if it is jointly owned.

They can't take your equity - but they can make you sell. So if you owned it jointly, you'd get 50% of the proceeds of sale.

When there is family living in the house, you can apply to have the sale delayed by one year, to allow them to make arrangements.

If the house is in negative equity they wouldn't force the sale.

I don't know if your divorce makes any difference. Was the ownership of the house formally dealt with in a Consent Order when you divorced?
Can you buy him out?

RedHelenB Thu 01-Dec-16 18:34:26

You could make an offer to buy his beneficial interest if you can afford it. Who is making the mortgage payments at the moment? How much equity is there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now