Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

HMRC real or fake email address

(20 Posts)
chelsbells Fri 25-Nov-16 12:42:25

Had an email claiming to be from HMRC, done a quick google search but can't find if it's genuine. It's claiming they've attempted to get in touch on 3 dates and I'm due a refund of over £200. It's got a form attached that you fill in and submit but you need to include all card and bank details, hence my apprehension. The email address is sistem@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk - anyone know if it's genuine?

I will phone them directly when I get chance later but just wanted a heads up!

itsnotfair10 Fri 25-Nov-16 12:43:34

Think this is dodgy.

I had a similar text the other day and I emailed it to phishing@hmrc and they confirmed they would never contact via email or text to inform of a refund.

Brontebiscuits Fri 25-Nov-16 12:44:23

totally dodgy. don't reply!

Tigerstar123 Fri 25-Nov-16 12:45:21

Hmrc confirm they would never email you.
I got one the other day. Forwarded it to the phising address and got a response to confirm was a scam.

MistressMerryWeather Fri 25-Nov-16 12:45:45

Fake.

I got one saying the same thing and have never given my e-mail to HMRC.

Tigerstar123 Fri 25-Nov-16 12:46:02

www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing

chelsbells Fri 25-Nov-16 12:48:39

Thank you everyone! Will forward to the phishing address then

EleanorRigby123 Fri 25-Nov-16 12:50:12

Fake - though very interesting they are able to use @gsi.gov.uk suffixes. HMRC NEVER do this.

cozietoesie Fri 25-Nov-16 12:56:45

PS - have a look at the real detail of the email header. I'll lay a substantial wager that the detailed header isn't a 'gov' address.

It's a phish.

LIZS Fri 25-Nov-16 12:56:55

Hmrc never email.

Boogers Fri 25-Nov-16 13:16:12

Why do you even need to ask this? You're a clever person.

If someone asks for your bank details in an email just say no.

Say you'll contact them using the number on the Government website.

PhewGladThatsOver Fri 25-Nov-16 13:35:59

If on other occasions you are unsure about a website then you can use Nortons free website checker. I'm not sure if it's completely foolproof but I use it as part of my double checks.

Boogers Fri 25-Nov-16 14:06:38

chelsbells

I've had an email saying that because I replied to your post you're entitled to a cash amount. If you could send me your bank details - sort code, account number, account holder - then I will be pleased to transfer the sum of £12,3657 from my account to your account.

Does it make sense now?

cozietoesie Fri 25-Nov-16 14:36:31

Actually, the sort code, account number etc are neither here nor there - but the card details? smile

BusterGonad Fri 25-Nov-16 14:38:10

Dodgy as fuck, I had one too and a bill for iTunes which I don't even have!!!

Yamadori Fri 25-Nov-16 14:45:25

HMRC will never contact you by email about a refund. They always write a letter.

senua Fri 25-Nov-16 14:45:27

Don't give out personal details.
Don't click on attachments.
HMRC always write, they don't email.

I had a similar thing the other day. "HMRC" left a voicemail telling me that they were taking me to Court. The message said to "press button 1" to be put through to my case officer.
If I had pressed button 1 then would there be any consequence? (other than being put through to some dodgy blighter) I quite often get message saying "press button 1 to be removed from our mailing list". Is this a scam somehow?

cozietoesie Sat 26-Nov-16 12:49:27

This is 2013 guidance - and from the US - but I think it's still good. smile

Pressing “2″ may work, but more than likely it does nothing more than end the call; and you’ll probably continue receiving calls. In some cases, it may actually put you on additional scam-bait lists, because the caller at least knows that it reached an active line owned by someone willing to pick up when an unfamiliar number calls.

Some exasperated readers have told us they pressed “1″ because they knew they could at least then yell at a real person. Problem is, the simple act of pressing that “1″ puts you on a so-called “hot” list of consumers. This list will be sold and resold and resold and you will now continue to get calls from additional scammers.

ElizaSchuyler Sat 26-Nov-16 12:53:29

If HMRC do email you it's only ever to tell you to log into your Government Gateway account to read any notifications. This generally only applies to businesses & self employed.

Normal PAYE/tax codes stuff is always done through the post.

Ta1kinpeece Sat 26-Nov-16 15:28:37

HMRC never email.
They are much too dysfunctional for that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now