Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

step change weren't very helpful

(5 Posts)
pondinwinter Thu 24-Nov-16 17:33:56

Has anyone else sound this? I needed advice but they were like robots

TribbleTrouble Thu 24-Nov-16 17:38:33

Have you tried CAP instead? Maybe they can help?

lougle Thu 24-Nov-16 17:56:01

What sort of advice did you need? In all cases, reduce outgoings as much as possible. Then, broadly:

low level unsecured debt; good income; manageable but uncomfortable; credit score still good - transfer debt onto 0% credit card and snowball it until it's gone.

high level unsecured debt; good income; unmanageable but would be manageable if not for the interest charges-negotiate frozen interest and payment plans or IVA

low level unsecured debt; low income; no assets - debt relief order

high level unsecured debts; low income; no assets - bankruptcy

Secured debts: gets trickier. You have to be much more careful about implications of debt management plans.

Hellmouth Thu 24-Nov-16 18:00:10

I think the literally just read off a script and can't help if anything deviates from that. I had something set up with them years ago, but I actually found it easier to manage it myself. Some of my debts changed hands, and they never amended the payments, which meant some payments weren't made to the correct people!

I generally find the moneysavingexpert forum is quite good smile

pondinwinter Thu 24-Nov-16 18:00:44

Yes I found it easier to manage myself as well, I just rang them as they came up when I googled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now