Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Has anyone used Christians Against Poverty for dealing with debt?

(10 Posts)
Squeeeee Wed 23-Nov-16 09:04:04

If so what was your experience? How do they work?

Heirhelp Fri 25-Nov-16 16:18:12

I know of somebody who used them. You don't have to be Christian to use them. Like step change they help you set up debt repayment plans. They also paid for this family to have a weekend on a caravan holiday.

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 25-Nov-16 16:19:34

Be aware that they are connected to a large American evangelical church. There is an agenda, even if it's not always obvious.

Squeeeee Fri 25-Nov-16 18:13:13

dotdotdotmustdash can you elaborate a bit more on that? I'm not very clued up when it comes to religion and wonder what the agenda might be?

RandomMess Fri 25-Nov-16 18:20:15

They will genuinely help you however the reason they exist is to demonstrate their love of Christ through helping others - this is a biblical principle to help those in need. They should not have an agenda to shove Christianity down your throat however they will share their beliefs with you if you ask.

If you let them help you and you feel they overstep any boundary presumably you can complain to their head office/local church they are affiliated with?

dotdotdotmustdash Fri 25-Nov-16 20:19:16

I had an acquaintance who worked for CAP and was a member of the parent church. She desperately tried to 'recruit' me to the church, which initially was all terribly friendly but I became uncomfortable about some of the opinions and beliefs they were encouraged to hold. One particular one I heard was about disabled children being born as a punishment for the parents - there were others. This church also advertised locally an abortion counselling service called 'Choices'. In reality, what they existed to do was persuade girls/women out of abortions and attempt to get the children adopted into selected families. If, after the counselling they woman still chose an abortion, they would get no further support. None of this was in the advert. I found that distasteful.

I would use another debt counselling organisation.

Squeeeee Fri 25-Nov-16 20:42:27

Shocking! I'll keep looking. Thanks dotdotdotmustdash

katie301 Mon 28-Nov-16 15:36:54

please don't let these stories put you off. the model of the CAP money program is good. I don't know about the history of the charity but it is there to help people who need it. I did the course and it was helpful.
Rather a charity than a company who charges to help with debt?!

dotdotdotmustdash Mon 28-Nov-16 17:12:45

CAP also make money from managing the debts in the same way that many other debt-relief organisations work. They collect in money every month from their clients which is invested and only paid out to the creditors at the end of the time period (2/3yrs). In the meantime CAP invests the money and collects the interest.

SillySongsWithLarry Mon 28-Nov-16 21:38:13

I can't speak from a debt perspective because I'm not in debt but I did a CAP money management course and it has revolutionised my finances. My perspective on saving and spending has changed and by living with their cash only method (withdraw a week worth of cash at the start of the week) I am spending a lot less.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now