Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Private Tenancy on a Budget

(5 Posts)
Unexpectedbaby Fri 18-Nov-16 14:39:24

Hi,

I and my partner are viewing 3 properties tomorrow for private rent. We are currently expecting our first child in January, having only known for a month. Because of this, we are trying to put ourselves in the best financial position possible whilst I am on Maternity leave as we have very little time to save.

I am creating a budget and have my maternity payment schedule from work now so can realistically look at what we can afford in rent and amenities.

We do not currently live together, both with retrospective parents, so this is all new territory for us. Obviously, the estate agents have given us the rent cost, but is anyone able to offer some advice of the best questions we can ask to try and figure out what our monthly amenity outgoings will be?

TIA!

lovingmatleave Fri 18-Nov-16 15:23:59

First of all you will need to consider what your deposit might be - have you accounted for that? sometimes upto 6 months rent in advance, possibly only 1. When you do move in, make sure you get an inventory done of all the furniture/fittings and their condition, in case there are any disputes about return of deposit at the end of your tenancy.

Here are some tips on what to ask:

What is the deposit - and make sure you get an inventory of the condition of all furniture and fittings just before you move in, in case of any disputes later.
What does the rent include? - is it just rent, or does it include council tax etc. Usually it would just be the rent and all the other costs are yours.

What is the council tax band - and then check on your local council website how much that is.

What kind of heating and do they know who the provider is at moment? Ask if they know roughly how much those bills come too - but this will obvs depend on your use. Watch out for older properties that are not insulated or don't have double glazing - they will cost you more to heat.

Shelter is a good source of info - here is the link to the English site, but there is also one for Scotland
england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/young_people_leaving_home_and_finding_a_place/top_tips_for_first_time_renters

Unexpectedbaby Fri 18-Nov-16 19:02:23

That's really helpful. Thank you.

The deposit is the one thing we are going to have to find a way to manage and a bit of short term debt may be the only way but we can figure that out based around everything else.

Knowing the questions you have stated will really help us tomorrow those things. Thank you

specialsubject Sat 19-Nov-16 09:17:39

Deposit is generally six weeks rent. You can find out the council tax for the property online.

Budget for gas, water, electricity, TV licence, broadband and phone and tenants insurance.

The.property epc will give you a vague idea, but best to ask about insulation, windows etc. Don't rent a draughty dump expecting it to improve.

Read the how to rent guide on gov.UK.

Leatherboundanddown Sat 19-Nov-16 10:04:20

I'll add check the gas and electricity meters when you view the properties. If they are key meters (top up) you want to try to avoid those as it will cost you a fortune.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now