Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Budget calculator

(5 Posts)
Famalam13 Fri 18-Nov-16 06:48:20

DH and I are always confused as to where our money has gone at the end of the month and with DS now on the scene and buying a house in the new year I am keen to get a handle on this. Can anyone recommend a good, detailed budget planner? I am happy to pay a little if it's a good one that will help us to plan things going forward.

TIA smile

Mirandawest Fri 18-Nov-16 06:55:41

I've set up a spreadsheet that works for DH and me. Every payment that's made is logged on it. Each month there's a budget for different categories and if the payments are more than the budgeted amount it goes red. Can see through the month how our spending is going and whether anything needs to be cut back on.

Also have worked out the amounts that get paid yearly and transfer money to save for them. Also Christmas and birthdays. Have been doing this since march now and it mostly seems to work.

ScarlettInSpace Fri 18-Nov-16 06:58:08

I used the one on money saving expert - it was free & really easy to use. I was shock at how much I should be saving each month!

BarbaraofSeville Fri 18-Nov-16 09:22:04

You also need to analyse what you have spent, especially on purchases rather than direct debits.

It's easy to say that the mortgage is X and the bills are Y so we should have Z to spend, but all those little purchases day to day can add up to a lot (eg. coffee every day while at work could easily cost more per month than your electricity bill). You also need to account for annual and unpredictable expenses like insurance, Christmas and car repairs.

legoblox Fri 18-Nov-16 16:17:02

I'd always recommend YNAB - you need a budget. Really great software. Free trial for 30 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now