Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone help?

(2 Posts)
user1479410913 Thu 17-Nov-16 19:43:16

Hi I have split from my husband about 6 weeks ago, I'm still living here although totally separately as I don't have any family to go to. A house will be available to rent in the area in about 4-5 weeks. Can I claim income support and housing benefit as my name is on the mortgage? Ps I have 4 children the youngest is 20 months old.

Babyroobs Thu 17-Nov-16 19:55:01

I think you can for an interim period whilst the house is being sold ( not sure how long they allow though). I think it may also depend how much equity you have in the home. Obviously you can't claim HB long term if you own half a house, but then again if you sell the house or he buys you out and you have a lump sum of equity then that may take you over the limit to claim income support or HB. It's probably best to seek advise form CAB. Is there no way you can stay in the maritial home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now