Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

In laws have asked for DS's birth certificate

(48 Posts)
Cheeka Wed 16-Nov-16 22:43:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BratFarrarsPony Wed 16-Nov-16 22:47:08

no this does not sound right at all.
they have already seen his birth cert (the bank) and there is no reason at all why they would want to see it again.

(In addition and probably by the by it does not have to be an original as they are all 'certified copies of an entry')

what are you thinking?
why might they want it?

LizzieMacQueen Wed 16-Nov-16 22:48:15

Does you son already have a passport?

OohhThatsMe Wed 16-Nov-16 22:49:03

No, of course they wouldn't need it for an existing account. Why do you think they might want it? Does your son have a passport?

Sweets101 Wed 16-Nov-16 22:49:29

I wouldn't even question tbh. Do you have the long and short copy? Just give them the long one. Or if there's a back story offer to meet them there with it?

Hellmouth Wed 16-Nov-16 22:50:19

If my in laws asked, I would just hand it over, but that's because I trust them.

Just saying . . .

lanternlady Wed 16-Nov-16 22:56:45

Banks do need one to open a new account , but it possible that a bank would require it at a later stage if they discover they didn't have it when the account was opened or for other reasons say money laundering checks . Lots of kids accounts were opened years ago with no checks made and now with much more legislation they know need to prove the IDs for their customers .
It also depends on how old you child is now , if they are trying to change the account to a better interest rate paying account or a different style account for example then they would need to see ID documents again .
It's nothing to worry about . Hope this helps x

Thatwaslulu Wed 16-Nov-16 22:59:29

I had to give my mum my son's birth certificate when she opened an account for him because she wasn't his parent and it was a money laundering check. I also had to take.it in when upgrading his account to one he could sign for himself when he was 7 to prove who he was, because his passport had been sent off for renewal.

AddToBasket Wed 16-Nov-16 23:01:31

Are they applying for a passport for him?

Costacoffeeplease Wed 16-Nov-16 23:02:29

I've just had to go to fairly extreme lengths to prove my identity to my bank (bastard first direct) even though I have been a customer for over 20 years and haven't changed name or address, so it could be right

AyeAmarok Wed 16-Nov-16 23:02:40

I'd be suspicious, especially given your ex's reaction.

Any chance they're wanting to empty the account?

AdoraBell Wed 16-Nov-16 23:03:22

Unless it's a bank in a different country I suggest you call them and arrange that you take the birth cert into your local branch.

As for "usual aggressive counter arguing" tell him he's being aggressive and you are not putting up with it anymore.

BumpKitty Wed 16-Nov-16 23:04:25

My DDs bank has asked to see ID when the account had been open for some time. I can't remember why it was but they asked for it by letter and we never received the latter so the account was suspended and all direct debits set up to it kept failing. I went in to ask why and they said about needing the ID. I'm certain they saw ID when it was opened. I showed them ID and it was all sorted out. This was TSB, formerly Cheltenham and Gloucester. You could always call the branch and ask.

bruffin Wed 16-Nov-16 23:06:34

Ive just been asked to provide a certified copy of birth cert to m&s because i have a card on dh m&s mastercard account, even though i have had this card for over 10 years.

Chippednailvarnishing Wed 16-Nov-16 23:08:35

Which bank is it?

Take the certificate in yourself, get them to take a copy and certify it. Do not give it to your in-laws.

SallyGinnamon Wed 16-Nov-16 23:08:48

I work in a bank and we've had to tighten up our 'know your customer' procedures recently. They may have the same issue.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 16-Nov-16 23:08:56

I had to show birth certificates for my children when changing their accounts and opening an ISA, even though they already had accounts with the same bank for which I had provided ID. Perfectly possible for this to be legitimate although there's no reason why you couldn't take the certs to your local branch to be seen.

Haffdonga Wed 16-Nov-16 23:09:34

Could it have been, say, a five years fixed term savings account and now that that interest rate has come to an end they want to move the money into a new account with a better rate?

And why don't you just ask them? confused

EmmaGellerGreen Wed 16-Nov-16 23:16:18

Why is this such a big deal? They have asked to borrow a document.

Bulletpr00f Wed 16-Nov-16 23:17:46

I would be suspicious, but you do know anyone can get anyone's birth certificate simply by contacting the registrar? There is a small fee, but if they want it for anything remotely dodgy they probably wouldn't have asked you directly.

www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

Meadows76 Wed 16-Nov-16 23:19:50

Yeah if they were planning to get a passport in secret surely they would have just gone and got their own birth certificate

paxillin Wed 16-Nov-16 23:21:36

I'd let them borrow it. They can request a copy without any reason anyway. I once obtained a copy of my dss's birth certificate and nobody at the town hall asked who the hell I am (we do not share a name or address).

I hasten to add this was with the knowledge and permission of both his parents, although neither was required. I could have been a random as long as I handed over £7 and named his birth date and name.

paxillin Wed 16-Nov-16 23:22:38

x post

EverySongbirdSays Wed 16-Nov-16 23:23:13

Have you got any reason to be concerned that your PILs might want to take your child abroad without your knowledge or consent?

If not it's nothing to worry about

JenLindleyShitMom Wed 16-Nov-16 23:27:50

Don't hand over his birth certificate. Go to the bank yourself with it and check that it was asked for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now