Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Becoming a working single mom. How much help from the gov?

(6 Posts)
booboochoupi Tue 15-Nov-16 23:42:00

I am separating from the husband and should move back to the UK with my 2 years old. I am planning to get my retail job back for around 720£ a month for about 20hours/week. But rent would be around 700£/month. I do not know how I will pay for any childcare to even be able to work the 20 hours! let alone utility bills etc. Any experience? any advice? anyone been there or knows anything about how much help I can expect from the government please? Many thanx

SortAllTheThings Tue 15-Nov-16 23:59:57

You can put all your details into a rough calculated online, that should give you an idea. You'll also be able to claim a percentage of your childcare, most of it I think. Your 2yo would be entitled to some funded hours too, if you're claiming tax credits.

I have no idea if being out of the UK would affect your ability to claim. Maybe a call to citizens advice

Babyroobs Wed 16-Nov-16 09:41:11

How long have you been out of the UK. Are you a british citizen? As pp says I think it would be best to contact CAB. if you are eligible then you would get help for childcare through tax credts. Presumably you would have child maintainence from your child's dad too ?

booboochoupi Sun 20-Nov-16 23:51:32

Thank you both for the sound advice! I was worried that offices like he CAB would say I have to be back before looking in detail at figures to give me an idea, while I am so scared to jump in the unknown by moving back without any idea if I can cater for my baby and myself. The online calculator is therefore a smashing idea. Will give that a try.
I don't think I will get child maintenance because I didn't think of gathering proofs of all the cheating that is making me leave. Plus he is in Africa so I don't see how anyone can force him to give me anything.
Yes we are British citizen and would have been out of the country for about 7 months by the time I get back.

Thank you both again.

specialsubject Mon 21-Nov-16 12:20:53

Absence may be more relevant that citizenship for claiming benefits. You may not pass the habitual residence test so get nothing for a while. Please check.

Lagirafe Mon 21-Nov-16 18:03:55

I believe you now have to wait 3 months before you can claim anything as you have been out of the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now