Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can any one help please

(30 Posts)
Terri1993 Tue 15-Nov-16 19:33:56

Hi guys I am new to this
Can u guys help me please
I am a single mum on benefits
I get income support child tax credits and child benifit me and my daughters dad are thinking of moveing him in with us but we're not sure what were what money we're get or lose as he works 45 hours a week and brings home 550 can anyone help me please xx

19lottie82 Tue 15-Nov-16 22:58:13

If your partner is clearing £550 a week then I doubt you will be entitled to anything apart from child benefit. IF you decide to move in together make sure that he knows this, and in terms of the DWP his income will be considered household income.

OhTheRoses Tue 15-Nov-16 23:06:18

Good thinking. Always a good idea to think of the impact of liver/partnership on your benefits.

If it has an impact and you decide not to move in together surely it cannot be a sound relationship.

Has your dp ever thought about supporting you and his child rather than subcontracting your needs to the state?

Terri1993 Tue 15-Nov-16 23:14:27

Yes he helps me as it is but we were just thinking about what would change and how we go about it as we are very close and he round most night helping me and staying as I am not very well so I need him to help but he don't live here but would be easyer if he did and if I tell them he stays here to help me there still stop my money X

Runningbutnotscared Tue 15-Nov-16 23:23:17

Surely if you are in a relationship of any sort with your child's father, and he earns £550 a week, whether you live together is irrelevant?
Because you are not a single mum. You are a mum who is in a relationship with your child's dad who are choosing to live apart to take money that you do not deserve.
Your child's father may be a crap one who does not, for example, change nappies, help with the night shift or worry about your child but, living apart or together, you may feel like a single mum but you are not.
(If he's a great father and does all these things then you are still not a single mum and claiming state handouts is also wrong).

Costacoffeeplease Tue 15-Nov-16 23:25:24

Does he contribute now?

AgentProvocateur Wed 16-Nov-16 01:10:58

I don't think you'd be classed as a single parent at the moment if anyone decided to investigate your benefit entitlement. You need to speak to someone and sort this out or you're in danger of having your benefits stopped and having to pay back. Or maybe even worse.

Hoppinggreen Wed 16-Nov-16 09:15:05

Yes, be very careful who you speak to about this because it sounds like you are actually NOT a single parent and you could face not only having your benefits stopped but investigated and possibly prosecuted.
If your child's father stays with you often and earns over £2000 per month then to me ( and probably to The benefits people) you should be classed as a couple and should only receive benefits based on that.

Terri1993 Wed 16-Nov-16 09:45:42

Of course I am a single mum he dosent not live with me yes he gives me 100 a month for his daughter he is not a crap farther he helps me out more than some dads would !! He lives with his mum at the moment I spoke to someone about this they said he can't stay more than 2 nights a week and if he moves in I have to tell them
Stright away in witch case I will I am a honest person I am not takeing money i am
Not intitlied to atall I have been out of work for 2 years and before then I had 2 full time jobs and paid my way so I don't think u have a right to say that to me I ask for some advice not rudeness !! X

RavioliOnToast Wed 16-Nov-16 10:07:34

You're not actually classed as a single parent though, I am speaking from experience with what happened to me. You shouldn't be claiming single parent benefits. You and your boyfriend should stop trying to get as much money out of the system as you can. £550 is a massive wage weekly completed to a lot of people, £100 a month is absolutely shit for maintenance if he's on that weekly and living at his mams!

Costacoffeeplease Wed 16-Nov-16 10:18:28

He earns £550 a week and gives you £100 a month - and he's not a crap father?

You're obviously in a relationship with your child's father - that's not being a single parent

Terri1993 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:23:12

He's not my boyfriend I don't understand what part your not getting how do u no do u live next door
No well u have nothink to say all I was asking for was a bit of
Advice if he dose move in and your
All jumping on it I wouldn't write it if I was with him would I

Terri1993 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:23:59

I am not with him !! I wouldn't write this is I was would I

hoddtastic Wed 16-Nov-16 10:27:01

why is he moving in then? I don't understand.

you should CSA him up by the way,he needs to pay more than £25 a week for his kid.

ChampsMum Wed 16-Nov-16 10:30:07

Morning Terri, if he is not your boyfriend what is he to you? And why are you thinking of moving him in with you if you're not together?

He earns £550 a week which is £2200 and only gives you £100 a month? But he isn't a crap father I can assure you that other fathers who earn £2200 a month give their childs mother more then £100 a month which is basically £25 a week.

No one here has actually been rude to you hmm

Babyroobs Wed 16-Nov-16 10:32:08

This type of playing the system really annoys me. Your partner earns a good wage yet the state pays to support you and his child and then you get the £100 cm on top of all your benefits !! What does he do with the other £450 a week ??
To answer your question, if he moves in and his income is more than £26k (which I suspect it will be )you will get nothing apart from £20 a week child benefit. On a positive note it would be easier for you to get a weekend/ evening job to boost your household income. This is what many families have to do to make ends meet.

Terri1993 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:33:47

I am very ill and need a lot
More help with my daughter
He also takes her out in the week
Of the food shopping
And takes me to hosptial there is
No one
Else who can help in my family but if he moves in we are classed as a
Couple as he my daughters

Hoppinggreen Wed 16-Nov-16 10:35:16

I can't see any rudeness. In fact most people are trying to warn you to be careful as there are often threads on here from ladies in similar situations who have been sanctioned or fined by the Benefits agency.
If he often stays with you, is the father of your child and financially contributes then you are NOT single. You being " with" him ( I'm assuming you mean in a sexual relationship) or not is irrelevant.
How much he chooses to give you ( which isn't enough give his salary by the way) is again irrelevant. The fact that he earns a decent wages does and should affect the help you get from the state.

Terri1993 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:36:12

And with him being here a lot more to help us he won't be bringing home that much a week
As he be haveing a lot of
Time off
To help

tiredandhungryalways Wed 16-Nov-16 10:36:28

You will certainly loose the benefits except child benefit. If he's present and a good father I don't see why you wouldn't live together.

Eevee77 Wed 16-Nov-16 10:42:37

If you don't want a relationship him, moving in with you would only complicate things. You would only be entitled to child benefit. Earning 550 a week he should be payed big you a lot more than £100pm and why isn't he looking after your DC at his mums instead of staying at yours? This must be confusing for your DC too.

ChampsMum Wed 16-Nov-16 10:43:06

What is your illness? And yes if he does move in you will be classed as a couple, I still can't get over the fact that he earns £550 a week and only gives you £25 out of it.

InTheDessert Wed 16-Nov-16 11:31:42

I'd find yourself a benifit calculator, and put the details in as if he had moved in with you. And see what it says.

I thought minimium child maintance was more like 10% of income. So more like £55/week minimium you should get. But if he moved in with you, that ceases to be an issue.

AndNowItsSeven Wed 16-Nov-16 11:37:47

1) he doesn't pay anywhere near enough maintenance.
2) the nights a partner can stay is a myth. There is no set number it's simply if you are in a relationship.
3) claim pip if you are unwell , it's not means tested.
4) you would be entitled to childcare costs up to 70% if you dp moves I which would give you a break as you are unwell.

seasidesally Wed 16-Nov-16 17:36:22

income support usually get the cms inolved

i can only guess you have avoided telling them the truth otherwise you would be getting much higher amount s they would contact him nd sought payments

your dp is taking the mick out of everybody

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now