Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with budget meal ideas

(22 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

user1479027516 Sun 13-Nov-16 09:11:44

Hi everyone I'm new here so hopefully I'm posting in the right place
Don't no where to start really .. I'm looking for some meal ideas we hace a very strict budget this week partners started a new job and he has to work a week in hand I've just counted the copper we have and we have £5.67 there's me my partner a 9 year old and 1 year old really panicking now as not sure if it can be done we do need toilet roll and milk for the baby out of this
Or does any one no of any good money making ideas I do have a lot of things for sale via fb but no one seems interested
I should add i do get child benefit for the children but I changed bank details and it didn't go in this week not sure how long it takes to change over so not relying on getting that next week either .its all such a mess any one any ideas please

Mum4Fergus Sun 13-Nov-16 09:44:49

Start by making a list of everything you have in fridge, freezer and cupboards...then make a meal plan using up only the things you already have in. Next plan with what's left on your list that needs 1 or 2 additional ingredients...how many days will that cover you?

user1479027516 Sun 13-Nov-16 10:13:52

Hi I have lots of cereal for breakfasts

4 steaks
5 mini pizzas (party food ones )
Half bag of frozen chips
Fish fingers 6

X2 beans
X1 super noodles
Dry pasta ( half bag )
Hot chocolate

Fridge wise there's nothing apart from some frubes and about 1/4 pint of milk

I definately need to buy bread milk and butter

I'd say with what's there I can make meals for 2-3 days definately do able for the children's meals anyway

Not sure what else to buy I have serious brain numb at the minute hmm

80sWaistcoat Sun 13-Nov-16 10:18:03

Moneysavingexpert.com has a really good forum for stuff like this. But a week of beans on toast or jacket potatoes isn't going to harm anyone long term, or omelettes.

80sWaistcoat Sun 13-Nov-16 10:19:27

Also see if there's a food bank in your area and check how you need to be referred.

user1479027516 Sun 13-Nov-16 10:22:08

I'll check that site out thankyou

Not sure about the food bank we did have one a long time ago at the church but the church is being updated I'll google and see what the criteria is

Son is on free school meals atm aswell due to being on a low wage so that helps aswell

Lollollollol Mon 14-Nov-16 00:23:40

There has been a few threads about budget meal with loads of great recipes on. I can't remember the name of the poster but she did about three threads. There were similar to your threads.

Just a word of warning that there have been a few threads on scammers recently so you might get a bit of grief from suspicious posters unless you are crystal clear that you don't want posters to send you money or other stuff.

Lollollollol Mon 14-Nov-16 00:27:13

HERE is one of threads. There are more....

Lollollollol Mon 14-Nov-16 00:33:42

HERE is another one

There are still more by other posters although I think one was found out to be a scammer so I guess their threads were removed.

user1479027516 Mon 14-Nov-16 09:50:57

Oh no I definately don't want people to send me anything I just wanted some ideas that's all .feel bad for posting now would hate to come across like that

user1479027516 Mon 14-Nov-16 10:27:11

Just had a read through the links you posted lots of good ideas in nipping to morrisons this morning (closest) so I'll see what I can get .
Just spoke to universal credit as we may be entitled to something due to how low our income is which would be a big help going to fill the forms in online later .i have £11 on my boots card so toiletries if needed are covered .its just the food issue atm stressing me out but hopefully I can get some reduced bits .if anything it's taught me to start saving just incase .never want to be in this possition again

veganburgerqueen Mon 14-Nov-16 11:23:37

My family have always had a 'pantry' or 'store cupboard' at home. I haven't always been veggie/vegan but its something I've always done, picked up from my DM and DGM.

Stock up on tins of beans or pasta, tinned tomatoes, etc - staples your family already use - but which can make meals in an emergency. These are the things that I replace the minute I use it up, whether or not I need it immediately. That way if money is a bit tight, or we can't get to the shops we have enough to keep us going a few days.

For example, at the moment we have a full bag of pasta, rice and plain noodles. We have tinned baked beans, tomatoes, passata, a fajita kit, lentils and chickpeas. We always have a block of cheese and eggs, and a couple of chicken breasts in the freezer. The idea is a use it/replace it kind of a thing.

A couple of years ago my self-employed DP was too unwell to work and our store cupboard kept us going for days until we had a referral to the food bank.

Good luck. flowers

user1479027516 Mon 14-Nov-16 14:03:17

I'm definately going to do this or some type of emergency supplies box it's my own fault I never seem to prepare incase things go wrong but it's taught me a lesson that's for sure

I've been to morrisons
I bought

2 loaves
Butter
Choc mouse
Pasta twirls
2 pasta sauces
1 curry sauce jar ( had rice in )
Potatoes
Eggs
Toilet roll
2 beans

I have enough left over for milk

I had a few pound extra as I sold a toy for £2 and possibly have another sale tonight for £20

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 14-Nov-16 16:29:28

OP - goodluck and we hope you'll get through the next few days with full bellies. We DO always caution our members never to give more of yourself to another poster, emotionally or financially, than they can afford to spare so that'll help you understand the links some people have shown you. flowers

veganburgerqueen Mon 14-Nov-16 16:48:33

Wow! You did brilliantly smile. Well done for being resourceful. And don't be hard on yourself; these days we don't automatically think of needing a store cupboard with shop opening hours what they are . My family does, but then my Mum was a Girl Guide grin

Doublegloucester Mon 14-Nov-16 17:32:18

Does your local Boots do pints of milk? Not the cheapest but you could use your points for it...

user1479027516 Mon 14-Nov-16 19:09:22

Thankyou everyone
Not sure if boots do milk I'm going for a walk there tommorow to pick some shower gel up using my points so I'll look for milk I no they do baby milk and the toddler ones so I'll see

X

Clutterbugsmum Mon 14-Nov-16 19:25:58

Can the baby have normal cows milk, now they are 1 year old. That would save you some money.

Crystal15 Mon 14-Nov-16 19:46:02

Potatos from herons or home bargains are so much cheaper. Think meals using bread, potato's and pasta.

user1479027516 Mon 14-Nov-16 20:10:56

Hi yes he does have cows milk I was just replying to comment re milk from boots saying I no they do formula for older ones but wasn't sure about fresh smile

user1479027516 Mon 14-Nov-16 20:13:29

I think once we get some funds I'll be buying one of those huge sacks of potatoes

BackforGood Mon 14-Nov-16 20:22:39

Baking potatoes are filling and cheap (OK, will need to add some baked beans but that's a protein filled meal for pennies)
Eggs are the best - 10p and full of protein. Have a couple with some bread.
Soup
Basics / economy / Aldi tinned rice pudding and /or tinned custard can fill a hungry tum

Try your local CC - they will probably know of food banks and criteria in your area, and may have a small supply of food basics themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now