Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Partner works full time self employed + tax credits. I am unemployed can't claim anything.

(34 Posts)
Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 22:10:42

I am unemployed and really struggling to find work, I can't claim job seekers or do any college courses to help me back into work because my partner is expected to 'keep me' due to working full time.

We have just applied for tax credits which we have qualified for, and he has agreed to have it paid into my bank account, so at least I will have access to some money for food shopping etc without having to ask him for it.

I could do with going back to college and training again in something different, which might help me get a job. E.g healthcare or beauty therapy but the college said because I can't claim job seekers, I will have to fund the course myself.

It's really getting me down this. I'm an individual person! Yet just because my partner works full time, I can't get any help whilst I look for employment. He has been great throughout my unemployment and very supportive but I just feel so awful having to depend on him. I need my independence. sad

LIZS Sat 12-Nov-16 22:18:50

There are 2 types of JSA. Your partner's income would not affect contribution based but would income based . Do you have a ni contribution record recently which would enable you to qualify? You could take out an advanced learning loan for your course fees if you don't qualify for concessions although some tax credits might enable you to do so.

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 22:38:27

I don't think I have made enough NI contributions, the majority of my jobs have been temporary contracts. Would this affect the working tax credit if I had paid enough and could get contribution based?

I've just looked up the advanced learner loan, it's for level 3/4 courses only/A levels.
The only other course I did in the past was a BTEC national diploma in Performing arts.
I think I'd have had to of already completed level 1 and 2 beauty therapy if I wanted to get a loan to do beauty therapy sad

Could I get it for say nursing? As that's classed as A levels, although I'd have to pay to do the biology GCSE and maths GCSE, as they are an entry requirement.

It's so confusing to me.

Meadows76 Sat 12-Nov-16 22:40:55

Of course he is expected to 'keep' you. Why should the state do it? yoy have a household income. Use it!

Akire Sat 12-Nov-16 22:43:39

Tax credits have nothing to do with paying tax it's just stupid name. They are not linked to NI either just incine and how many people in your household.

If you do qualify for job seekers on your own NI you will only get it for 6months the same as ESA work group it's then on income based so even another lower earner in your household means you would not qualify either.

It should be possible to do day courses and work evenings and weekends to cover fees anscgive yoyrsekf an income. Look on bright side least if you aren't used to your own money then you can cope while being a student for a few years!

Piscivorus Sat 12-Nov-16 22:47:49

If I said I was married to Richard Branson but I was unemployed would you think I should get benefits? Of course not and nor should you or I
The state is giving your family tax credits. Wouldn't they reduce if you got something else so your overall income was higher?

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:04:28

I am looking for a job. That's why I wrote this, I'm looking at ways that will increase my chances e.g college course/gaining some qualifications. And the only way possible to do this, is if I was claiming job seekers it seems so I guess it's not an option.

I'd happily pay for it if I had a job, that's my whole point.

I want to be able to contribute to my house and my partner as it is all on him at the moment and I don't want him under that pressure. It's not fair on him.

LillyLollyLandy Sat 12-Nov-16 23:09:27

What kind of work have you done in the last OP? Do you live in a city or more rurally?

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:14:07

Also it's not family credits, we sadly don't have any children yet (the main reason I joined Mumsnet, because we would love to have children) it's my partners working tax credit so all the income is his really, not mine and I feel awful having to depend on him.

I have worked for the NHS mainly doing patient advisor and medical secretary roles.

Haffdonga Sat 12-Nov-16 23:14:08

You used to be able to claim JSA but be awarded £0. (So you wouldn't be able to get any money but you would be elgible for the courses that require you to be on benefits.) But you can't claim JSA if you're a full time student anyway. Some level 2 courses are free if you're doing it for work. Ask your local FE college.

But nursing isn't equivalent to A level. It's a degree. You'd need A levels first or an Access to HE qualification (plus the GCSEs you mention), then apply to university.

dinorawr Sat 12-Nov-16 23:16:41

I'm in the same boat at the moment looking for work, and relying on my partner, it is awkward in a sense not having your own money when you want something like I'm desperate for a new winter coat but don't want to askblush. But of course you aren't entitled to anything. Just have to keep searching for a job. I wanted to go back to college too to better myself but we have a 2 year old who we've just put into nursery for a couple a sessions a week so I need to look for a job ideally to start paying for things! Hard situation to be in.

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:19:18

Okay thanks.

I just feel like a complete failure at the moment and I just want to get back into work any way possible so that I can contribute to society and my partner.

I think some people have totally got the wrong impression of me, like I'm some benefits grabber when I'm not. I just found that if you were on specific benefits then you could go to college, which would help me back into work....not just because I 'fancy going to college for free' !!

Meadows76 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:19:19

I want to be able to contribute to my house and my partner as it is all on him at the moment and I don't want him under that pressure. It's not fair on him. that's fine and understandable, but it's certainly not fair to expect the state to contribute just so your husband isn't 'under pressure'

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:22:20

Contribute to a course to get me back into work.
Nothing else.
I'm just exploring options.
I'm not a bum that doesn't want to work. Jesus.

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:24:10

Glad you can relate Dinorawr, it is very difficult, especially when there are so many idiots about that don't even want to better themselves.

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:27:50

Don't attack me and make me out to be something I'm not.
I've worked my arse off for what I've got and I'm well educated.
I've simply posted this for some advice.
I don't expect to be attacked and words put in my mouth.

Meadows76 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:27:58

i'm not a bum that doesn't want to work. Jesus. I never suggested that you were. However it is bang out of order to expect the state to give you benefits when you already have a household income made up of your husbands wage and tax credits.

AyeAmarok Sat 12-Nov-16 23:28:07

Would your partner contribute towards you doing a course?

Meadows76 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:29:27

I don't expect to be attacked and words put in my mouth.. Fuck sake you have not been attacked. Not in any way whatsoever. Get a grip will you. Some of us don't agree. That is all.

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:29:59

Bang out of order? I am seeing what help is available to enable me to improve my chances of getting work. What the fuck. Take your negativity elsewhere.

Meadows76 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:31:19

i am seeing what help is available to enable me to improve my chances of getting work and I am pointIng out that you have a husband. Ask him for the help ffs.

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:32:30

No, he probably would if he could afford to though bless him.
Anyway I'm going to just put this subject to bed because I didn't want all this negativity. Shame there's always someone ready to have a pop.

Evvy543 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:33:36

He's not my husband, but who knows maybe he will pop the question! That'll be nice won't it. smile

gluteustothemaximus Sat 12-Nov-16 23:34:03

I just wanted to say, try not to see your DP's money as his. You're a team. If it were the other way around, I'm sure you would support him.

It sucks having to rely on someone else, trust me I'm very independant and stubborn but sometimes in a relationship, you need to.

When you do have children, you won't be earning, but DP will. It won't be his money, but family money.

Over the years, me and DH have bounced around with one earning more than the other, him being out of work one time, me being out of work one time. Money is always split.

Like I said, teamwork.

The fact your DP is putting tax credits in your account; that's fab, and very understanding you need that independence. Shows he's not financially controlling.

Good luck with your college course if that's where you end up. This won't be forever, there will be a job out there.


Meadows76 Sat 12-Nov-16 23:35:28

No one had a pop. Just pointed out that you should use your household income rather than looking for handouts because he earns and you don't. Sweet of him to allow the tax credits into your account so you don't have to ask for pennies for a sweetie though.

I think your biggest problem is the way your finances are run. If you work d together it wouldn't be an issue. As it is your husband seems to be holding out on you which is making you want to go elsewhere for money. You need to speak to him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now