Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Owed money from joint account

(4 Posts)
JamMakingWannaBe Thu 10-Nov-16 20:51:39

Hallo all, I'm looking for some feedback as I'm going round in circles with this as I'm not sure how to proceed:
OH and I put an equal % of our individual take home pay into a joint account for the household bills.
We needed some work done to the roof, say £300, and as there wasn't enough money in the joint account to cover it, I paid the bill myself. OH now owes me half (£150) but doesn't have enough ready cash to pay me back. How much should I take from the joint account to cover his share?
A) £150 - as that is what I'm owed
B) £300 - as if I took £150, half of that is money I've contributed to the joint account so I'd really only getting back £75.
I know this should be easy, but I'm getting myself in knots!

greatpumpkin Thu 10-Nov-16 20:56:12

Think of it as the joint account paying you back the money it owes you.

£300.

lovelyupnorth Sat 12-Nov-16 08:58:12

We just have one pot so seems strange.

AyeAmarok Wed 16-Nov-16 23:06:27

£300.

Joint account should have paid in the first place.

Effectively, next month you both need to top up the joint account with £300 with your usual %.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now