Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

wrong tax code???

(8 Posts)
tigerlilly0404 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:16:30

looking for any help really, I've gone back to work after 10 years, got my first payslip and I'm on tax code K, I only work part time on min wage and don't earn enough to pay tax but have been taxed a lot?? I looked on my online tax account on gov website and says I have 11000 untaxed income???? apart from my DH income an tax credits we don't have any other money? any idea what's going on?

SouthernComforts Sun 30-Oct-16 18:33:48

Ring HMRC, they are the only ones that can change it. If you have been over taxed you will either get it back via your wages, or in a rebate after year end (April)

SouthernComforts Sun 30-Oct-16 18:35:50

Does that apply to you?

nannynick Sun 30-Oct-16 18:45:38

Some benefits are taxable, most are not.
Good list here:

Call HMRC to discuss what income they think you have and get it corrected.
0300 200 3300. Or you could try using Personal Tax Account to inform them that you consider your tax code is wrong.

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 18:47:33

Check your payslip. You may have been taxed for the first month on a non cumulative basis whilst HMRC worked out your tax code. It should correct itself after a couple of months.

tigerlilly0404 Sun 30-Oct-16 19:02:19

yes my first month was a CUMU code but then changed to a K code this month?

FruitCider Sun 30-Oct-16 19:17:58

Does this screen shot make sense to you?

PlumsGalore Sun 30-Oct-16 19:25:51

If you don't have a P45 your employer needs you to complete a new starters checklist so they can get you on the right tax code 1100 please speak to your pay group.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now