Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need Help no eletric??!

(40 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 14:16:03

Hi everyone,

Im new to here, been looking on the internet alk morning for help but can't seem to find an answer so thought i would write on here for some advice...

I have started a new job and have to work 2 weeks in hand so I budgeted what money i had left to last me...anyway i dont know where or how its happened but i have lost my last £20 that was for my electric, i think its fallen out my coat pocket when i've been getting something out. Anyway my electric has now gone it went off at 10am this morning, i have rang utilita who is my provider and they said they cannot do anything to help me as im in the process of leaving them (for very good reasons may i add) i explained my cooker is electric so i now cannot feed my son properly but thry just don't seem to care.

I have asked my friend who said they can't help me out aswell as my sister, they are the only close people to me.

So does anybody on here know of any charities or grants that could help me out today (saturday) as i've rang round a few different places i've seen on the internet today yet none of them seem to operate on a weekend!!!

Thankyou in advance

Lovemum9

wombatTombstones Sat 29-Oct-16 14:24:27

Even if your sister cannot help you financially, could you take your food to her house and cook it there?

INeedNewShoes Sat 29-Oct-16 14:26:54

Are you on a meter? Most prepay Meyers have a £5 emergency fund. Have you tried sticking the key in the meter to see if it does anything?

Coconutty Sat 29-Oct-16 14:26:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maudlinmaud Sat 29-Oct-16 14:29:09

Thats great advice Wombat.
What is the minimum you can top up, sometimes its £5. Is there anyway you could scrape that together or perhaps sister might be able to give that amount.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 29-Oct-16 14:31:27

Utilita give you £10 emergency credit, and do friendly credit hours, so your electric won't go off before 10am. Have you used the emergency already? If not, activate that - you'll have to top up £11 to cover the £10 next time, but it'll get you through. If you have; they tend to be pretty difficult, especially if you're in the process of leaving. The extended warning plus £10 emergency tends to be all they will do, as it's better than the average! I'd take food to cook elsewhere if you've already used it.

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 14:43:32

Yes unfortunately I've already used my emergency and my sister and friend live over 50 miles away and i have no money to travel there, i moved away when my boy was born for a fresh start.

I have spoken to utilita again but they said the only way they can help me is for someone to come and fit a smart meter?! Then i will have £10 on it but if i have that fitted i can only change between utilita and ovo and i really dont want to be with either of them as they are basicalky rip offs!

marsybum Sat 29-Oct-16 14:48:33

You need to quote utilias own website to them then as it says:

Friendly Credit

Our Friendly Credit feature means you never lose supply during evenings, weekends and bank holidays - even if your Emergency Credit runs out, or has not been activated. Your smart meters automatically enter Friendly Credit mode everyday from 4pm* until 10am* the next working day - giving you plenty of time to top-up your supply.

Any extra credit used beyond the £10 Emergency Credit is called Friendly Credit.

Therefore if they have cut your electricity it is breaching their own policy...

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 14:53:30

Thank you very much i will ring them back now and quote that.

AppleAndBlackberry Sat 29-Oct-16 15:00:45

How old is your son? Unless he's a baby on formula milk it won't hurt him to live off sandwiches for a few days. If he does need milk I'm wondering if the health visiting service might be able to help, or at least point you in the right direction for a crisis loan. Do you have heating?

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:01:13

I used my friendly credit yesterday between 4pm-10am that's why my electric went off at 10am this morning. Seriously peed off with tbe world today im trying to better mine and my sons life with my new job but going through this with no one helping me is just making me think if its worth it angry

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:02:52

My son is 2 i have fed him sandwhiches already and no the boiler wont work without electric

interstellarcloudofdust Sat 29-Oct-16 15:03:40

Are you in any FB selling groups? Have you got anything you could sell to get a few pounds?

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:04:55

But will a crisis loan be sorted today?? I just need a charity or grant that i could recieve immediately to get us through today and the rest of the week.

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:07:15

Yeah i sold my sons baby stuff that he no longer needs a few months ago to get him xmas presents

sleepyhead Sat 29-Oct-16 15:07:35

Won't that mean it'll come back on at 4pm today then?

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:08:36

I haven't got much else i could sell ive just had a look round my flat x

interstellarcloudofdust Sat 29-Oct-16 15:09:52

Could you sell some of the xmas presents you've bought him, then rebuy them once you've been paid? Not ideal...but needs must.

Rolocookies Sat 29-Oct-16 15:10:16

I know this is awful but can you put the toys on the selling page just to get you by until pay day?

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:13:31

No its for the day you run out of credit you get from 4pm - 10am the following day to put money on

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:16:37

Will do that then even though its killing me inside. Lets hope,soneone buys them this evening and my battery on my phone lasts to keep checking on them.

AppleAndBlackberry Sat 29-Oct-16 15:17:52

Or could you return them to the store for a full refund if unopened?

Lovemum9 Sat 29-Oct-16 15:19:08

They were second hand blush

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sat 29-Oct-16 15:19:51

I know someone who called social services when she was in a similar situation and they helped out.

interstellarcloudofdust Sat 29-Oct-16 15:23:42

Don't beat yourself up about it. Your son needs electric more than he need toys. It's only to get you through the next few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now