Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Payday

(7 Posts)
becca1611 Fri 28-Oct-16 11:36:30

Today is payday how ever I haven't received my wages. I have spoken to other colleagues and most of them got theirs yesterday. Most of them are also with the same bank as me so it's nothing to do with how quickly they go in because of the branch. This isn't the first time I have had mine hours after everyone else. What I'm wanting to know is there a time an employer has to pay you by? Like if today is my payday should my wages have not gone in at midnight last night? It's causing grief at home as my partner already thinks my employers take advantage of me so he's all for starting an argument. Advice would be appreciated. Thank you smile

ShatnersBassoon Fri 28-Oct-16 11:46:00

It just sounds like bad luck. You're talking about waiting for just a few hours, not days. Nobody would deliberately delay your payment to spite you.

Why would your partner give you grief about this? You can't control it, and it's not really going to cause any practical problems is it?

MuttsNutts Fri 28-Oct-16 11:49:37

If payday is today they can pay you anytime today presumably, so anytime up to midnight. Why does it matter if they don't go in until later today?

Mum4Fergus Fri 28-Oct-16 12:44:09

This 'wages in at midnight' thing is not true ... Banks run millions of transactions every day, usually credits to accounts and then all the debits. Sheer volume alone means that everything takes a bit of time and doesn't happen at the stroke of midnight. If today is payday, then you're AC should be credited at some point during the 24hrs of today. If this is a regular occurrence though you need to check with your payroll dept.

becca1611 Fri 28-Oct-16 17:24:05

Thanks for the replies. Partner is just on at me because there is always some sort of cock up on payday, whether I'm underpaid or paid on the wrong rate, holiday days unpaid. I do a lot of unpaid work in my own time which annoys him as I am on a low wage as it is. He was certain bacs payments go in at midnight and are instant. Also recently another colleague was told she hadn't been paid when she asked as the business had reached there transaction allowance for that day.. I can't afford to go the whole weekend with out my wages they are already accounted for. confused

MuttsNutts Fri 28-Oct-16 18:31:27

Of course you should be paid today if today is when it is due. If it still isn't there now I would give your bank a call to see if it is showing as pending but I'm guessing that if it isn't it may be too late to do anything about it if your payroll staff have left for the weekend.

Like I said before, anytime up to midnight would be acceptable, anything after today would not. Are you supposed to be paid last Friday of the month?

Sounds like this is just the latest in a long line of cock-ups/excuses so
I would be looking around for something else if I were you. To expect to be paid on time and in full each month is not unreasonable - you shouldn't have to be worried whether it will arrive each month.

topcat2014 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:39:28

Ask your employer how they pay you. There are a number of types of payments:

BACS - means Bankers Automated Payment System. This means a file is submitted on day 1 (such as Wednesday) by 4pm

Day 2 is the processing day (ie Thursday)

Day 3 is the crediting day (ie the Friday).

If they pay like this, I would expect every employee to receive the funds on the same calendar day. Depending on how your bank updates it's records you may not see it in the account at the cashpoint until the following day.

If they pay using Faster Payments - well, this is in theory instant. Often entered in to the banking software one at a time. You might be able to see on your statement whether it came as a Faster Payment. Perhaps this is what they use - and they wait until payday to see what money they have.

Dare I say it are they perhaps paying the 'favourites' or stroppiest staff first - and leaving the more compliant staff to wait?

Have a look at your contract of employment.

You have two issues:

1) Is the company starting the payment process for everyone at the same time, and it is just how your bank works

or

2) Is it deliberately paying different people at different times.

If 1) then I think there is not much you can do.
if 2) then I think you have grounds to raise a grievance.

Yes, daily payment limits do apply - but rule number 1 is always to pay the staff first, and then see what is left for suppliers.

(can you tell I do this for a living..)

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now