Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits and maternity

(2 Posts)
LumpySpaceCow Tue 25-Oct-16 11:42:52

Hi,
Never received tax credits before but due to two consecutive maternity leaves and an extra child, we are now entitled to some this year and probably next.
I am now on the 'no pay' part of maternity. Rang to inform tax credits and I will lose the childcare element as they now class me as not working. The guy on the phone told me that I would still receive the childcare for an extra month though as 'that is how the system works '. I have since thought though, will this mean I will need to pay this childcare bit back at the end of the year?
I've just heard so many horror stories regarding tax credits, I'm just worried about owing loads back!!

Babyroobs Tue 25-Oct-16 12:22:02

Blimey I didn't realise you could still get help with childcare even when you are off on maternity leave. Wish I had known that !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now