Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Budgeting for a house.

(16 Posts)
QueenLizIII Mon 24-Oct-16 14:06:43

How much does it really cost to run a house / flat. I mean small, one bedroom, two maximum. Just one person living there who is out working.

I am looking to budget for a mortgage but have no idea of bills as where I share a flat at the moment bills are included.

YelloDraw Mon 24-Oct-16 15:18:47

1 bed flat, 2 people.
Out at work.
Modern well insulated flat, gas for central heating and hob, electricity for oven and lights.
Do not cook every night.

£35 water. This is quite high - my partner takes VERY long showers. 1 person should be more like £25 if on a meter.
£35 for gas and electric but think were paying more like £45 over winter
£30 internet

+ council tax
+ home insurance
+ car permit

QueenLizIII Mon 24-Oct-16 15:52:48

So I guess you dont cut bills in half for one person.

Cut maybe 30% off? It would be just me there.

UrethaFranklin Mon 24-Oct-16 16:15:25

I live on my own and pay £25 for water (on a meter) and £72 for gas/electric combined.
Council tax don't forget you will get 25% discount - mine is £72
Contents/building insurance - c£20
TV/phone/broadband package - £60 but you can get cheaper
Emergency fund (in case your boiler breaks or something)
Then you will have transport costs/food/mobile phone etc

QueenLizIII Mon 24-Oct-16 16:44:15

I didnt know about the council tax reduction for a single person. Thanks.

Im not bothered about a tv package as i dont watch much. Could probably get cheap broadband from my mobile provider.

specialsubject Mon 24-Oct-16 19:52:43

Doubt it... Broadband costs are the same with or without line rental, vodafone ads dont tell you that.

YelloDraw Tue 25-Oct-16 13:50:59

I forgot TV license on there too. That is £145 a year I think.

Water is less for 1 person but your gas and electricity will be hardly any different. Still need to heat the same space, have the oven on as much etc. Maybe a bit less tumble drying and a bit less gas for hot showers.

The absolute cheapest you can get decent internet for is about £30.

Tryingtosaveup Tue 25-Oct-16 21:17:34

I live alone. I pay per month
£23 water on meter
£22 electricity ( no gas here)
I have a fire / stove and burn wood I cut/ collect/ get given
I have oil CH but hardly use it.
25% discount on council tax
No television
BT phone/ broadband ( all that is available here) £50 ish
I am very careful and batch cook and freeze to save electricity

QueenLizIII Tue 25-Oct-16 23:05:11

So im looking at about £200 a month for bills incl council tax

YelloDraw Wed 26-Oct-16 12:46:28

So im looking at about £200 a month for bills incl council tax

I would say £200 to £220 would be an appropriate estimation if you are reasonably careful with water, gas and electric.

strangeclouds Thu 27-Oct-16 08:43:47

If you buy a flat you should investigate annual/service charges.

Also, I'd suggest adding a small amount each month to your budget and saving it for maintenance or emergencies.

YelloDraw Thu 27-Oct-16 11:10:25

If you buy a flat you should investigate annual/service charges.

Yes very good point. Defo consider that when you are looking to buy. Flats I looked at this year ranged from £1200/year (ex-La block) to £4,000/year (new private, block concierge and included hot water)

JoJoSM2 Thu 27-Oct-16 11:51:16

When I lived on my own renting a room out to a friend, my water was only £20-25/month
electricity was £60 (no gas in the property) but it was a new build with amazing insulation so you barely needed to put the heating on. If you're in a Victorian flat with single glazing then I'd budget double that
for internet, I got a dongle to plug into my laptop for £10-15/month but you'd need to fork out for proper broadband if you want to watch films etc.
council tax - you can check with your council
TV licence £145/year
Service charges are the biggest expense usually - I'd look at the history for the last 3 years. Some buildings are well managed and there will be a fund for bigger repairs. They can vvary widely, though. I've seen people paying £60 for a very basic block with no garden and £250+/month in fancy blocks with gyms/concierge/great garden + possibly heating included.
In smaller properties, e.g. converted houses you might not have a regular service charge but be asked to fork out large amounts on repairs without that much notice + get charged insurance every year.
Altogether, in a very average block with no Sky or other overpriced stuff, I'd hope to spend about £250/month.

QueenLizIII Thu 27-Oct-16 13:50:17

I was worried about service charge. My friend lives in a fancy block with a lift and pays £250 a month.

Another friends is only £100 a month as it has nothing, no lift etc

JoJoSM2 Thu 27-Oct-16 16:51:59

Yes, it's important to ask about the service charge when you view a property. I wouldn't go for the flat with the cheapest service charge either - it's important that repairs are regularly carried out and the property well-maintained + it might be quite a nice lifestyle perk to have a gym or landscape gardens smile

QueenLizIII Fri 28-Oct-16 01:50:26

My friend with the cheap service charge it all looks ok.

It has made me realise though I cant buy a flat. I can afford a mortgage and bills and service charge.

sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now