Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car repair or save it and cope without?

(9 Posts)
sophieeleanorxx Sun 23-Oct-16 12:54:28

I'm rubbish at making decisions and I can't decide what to do. I passed my test in July I wanted to be driving before my son is here next month. I purchased a second hand fiat it needs a new clutch the garage are planning on collecting it tomorrow.
I'm on maternity allowance and get £279 every two weeks. I have £477 in my account now I have everything brought for the baby.
I don't have car insurance yet either and the first deposit is £250. I don't need the car right now just want to be able to drive baby to appointments and be able to get out the house without the hassle of taxis and buses when he arrives. So what would you do? Get it fixed and save for insurance or just wait? I'm awful at saving and I just think if I have that money there and no bills left to pay I will want to spend it.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Oct-16 14:04:22

I'm probably not the best person to comment - even though I am wink - because I did the sums on car ownership and maintenance and gave up ours when I moved to a place with a reliable taxi service. I have to get taxis or hire cars (also a short term option) or van services etc and I'm still way ahead. The total cost of running a car, including insurance and proper maintenance, can be quite ferocious.

I appreciate your issues though. I guess that having just recently passed your test, you'll also want to consolidate that learning with some 'proper' driving? What are local taxis like for you? And do you really believe that the savings will burn a hole in your pocket?

sophieeleanorxx Sun 23-Oct-16 14:17:20

Haha thanks for replying! The taxis where I live are expensive and are about £11 just into town. I travel up north a lot too and my train ticket is £55 return envy I know once my car is up and running and insurance is paid I will be ok. I'm really not good at saving if I'm hungry I will order a takeaway or go out for food I am rubbish lol.
I just can't decide whether to keep hold of this money and get the car fixed when he is here as I will have insurance saved up then.
But can I trust myself to save it!

Meadows76 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:20:16

Get the car fixed, then you only have the insurance to sort. How is it insured just now?

sophieeleanorxx Sun 23-Oct-16 14:54:39

It's not insured now it's just sat on my drive. I think i will just get it fixed its one less thing to worry about. I'm just trying to workout how much I should take from my pay to save for insurance as I would like to be on the road by end of next month. I don't get paid again now until the 9th and I'm guessing a new clutch and tyre could cost me £350 if not more so won't be left with much but I live with my mum and have small bills.
Income £279 a fortnight
£20 rent a week
£23 a month
£30 food and travel fortnight
£11 tax a month
I can't imagine me leaving the house much when baby is here in four weeks so should hopefully save.

Meadows76 Sun 23-Oct-16 15:08:23

Is it taxed or SORNed?

sophieeleanorxx Sun 23-Oct-16 15:23:35

It's taxed

Meadows76 Sun 23-Oct-16 15:34:13

Then it needs to be insured. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it can only fit in your drive uninsured if it is SORNed.

Meadows76 Sun 23-Oct-16 15:35:05

*sit on

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now