Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Dh will does it need changing?

(13 Posts)
LazySusan11 Sun 16-Oct-16 12:56:36

Dh owns his house which I moved into and have been paying half the mortgage plus bills. I'm not on the mortgage nor the deeds found out today he hasn't changed his will. Everything is left to his dd and his brother is the executor. Dh has said he will change his will but as yet he hasn't.

Just wondering where I stand should anything happen to dh.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 16-Oct-16 12:59:00

I think if you are married you have some automatic entitlement which voids a premeditated Will. However I may be wrong. Suggest you both make Wills ASAP.

dimots Sun 16-Oct-16 12:59:53

Did he make the will before or after you married? Marriage invalidates a will, so if before the rules of intestacy now apply. (I assume you are married as you said DH)

dimots Sun 16-Oct-16 13:01:10

Oh unless the will was made 'in contemplation of marriage'. Then the marriage won't invalidate it.

LazySusan11 Sun 16-Oct-16 13:20:04

The will was made years ago before we even met, after we got married he said he'd change it but he's such a procrastinator.

Floggingmolly Sun 16-Oct-16 13:21:17

The will was automatically revoked on your marriage.

LazySusan11 Sun 16-Oct-16 13:24:43

Ok so I assume in the event he dies before me the house will become mine until I die then go to his dd?

sohackedoff Sun 16-Oct-16 13:29:39

What do most said. However intestacy provisions dontean everything goes to you. It depends on size of DHs estate. Google uk intestacy provisions for breakdown. Also, it means that without a Will you will have to get a Grant of Letters of Administration not probate. Why not make an appointment for you both?

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 16-Oct-16 13:30:48

Here are the intestacy rules that will come into effect if your DH dies without a valid will.

If his estate were worth less than £250,000, you would get the lot and you could then leave what you got to the cats' home if you wanted and cut out your DH's child completely.

He needs to

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 16-Oct-16 13:31:57

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 16-Oct-16 13:32:30

Sorry, iPad problems.

... make a new Will to reflect his change in circumstances. I have a life interest in my DH's house and then it will go to his daughter. If we divorce however, I gave rights under the Matrimonial Homes Act.

LazySusan11 Sun 16-Oct-16 14:21:47

That's great, thank you so much for the info

gallicgirl Sun 16-Oct-16 14:26:20

You can register an interest with the land registry to protect your interest in the property.

I'd be inclined to sit down with him and make joint wills now you're married.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now