Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Hoousehold buys

(3 Posts)
Haribogirl Sat 15-Oct-16 19:06:44

Hi

Partner and I have separate bank accts but joint acct for household bills(gas,elec etc) with both put half each in joint acct every mth to cover bills.

But

How do you account for the things you probably buy for house NOT large items like washer,bed,sofas
Say things like

Cushions
Curtains
Bedding
An ornament or vase

Do you just buy out of your money, you have in your acct?
Do you say you owe me xxx for .......

How do you buy/pay for things like this in your household

JoJoSM2 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:31:21

In our own accounts, we keep 'pocket money' to spend as we wish and put the rest into the shared account. As it happens, my husband earns a lot more so he contributes much more to the shared account (the pocket money is equal for us). The types of items mentioned are paid for out of the shared pot. If it's, say, a 20pound candle then I'd just get it. But anything that costs more - say a batch of cushions or ornaments - we agree a budget for before purchasing.

Cabrinha Sun 16-Oct-16 08:54:02

When I was married, our equal payment to joint account was 10% more than our fixed bills, so we always built up a float of money for this sort of thing.

But neither us would have been quibbling over the other's share of a vase!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now