Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Inheritance help

(9 Posts)
Pompombears Sat 15-Oct-16 15:37:47

I am due to receive a small inheritance from my late aunts estate.
I am currently nc with my parents who are excutors, I received a text message yesterday from them stating they are in possession of my cheque from the solicitors and I need to go to their house to collect the cheque and sign for it.
Can they do this?

JoJoSM2 Sat 15-Oct-16 20:45:37

If you're not happy about that then contact the solicitors and get them to sort it out. I'm not a legal expert but common sense would dictate that they shouldn't have involved 3rd party with your check.

Longdistance Sat 15-Oct-16 20:54:46

Get the solicitor to cancel that cheque and re issue you with a new one.

Good luck op.

Pompombears Sat 15-Oct-16 22:43:05

Thank you for the replies 💐
Would I need to attend the solicitors to sign for the cheque or could it be done via post? I have never received any inheritance before and Google is no help

ImperialBlether Sat 15-Oct-16 22:45:08

Ask your solicitor - they can't demand you go there in person. Stand up to them - they're trying to manipulate you over this.

OhMrDarcy Sat 15-Oct-16 22:48:21

The last lots of money I've received in these circumstances have been transferred directly into my bank account or a cheque sent to my house. I've signed a receipt and posted it back to them. I've never physically collected a cheque from a solicitor.

snowman1 Sat 15-Oct-16 23:02:06

If your parents are exors, then they are responsible for the distribution of the estate. They may be trying to save money by not making a solicitors appointment for you, they can definately ask you to come and collect it it's their legal responsibility to pay out!!
If they wanted to be awkward (sounds like there is history) be prepared for a reply asking for payment of 15 mins of the solicitors time. Bear in mind many exors apply for probate without a solicitor too, or they may only have had cursory involvement of a solicitor to cut costs (ie. signing off IHT 200 forms rather than filling them in). Sorry to sound harsh they may have the interests of the estate rather than your interests at heart?

FrazzleM Sat 15-Oct-16 23:06:46

If they are the executors and aren't going through a solicitor then they can post the cheque OR if they are using a solicitor then the solicitor can transfer the money to you.

There is no need for you to see your parents if you don't want to.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Sun 16-Oct-16 09:54:25

If they are executors who've had minimal involvement from a solicitor, perhaps only for the probate part (dh has acted as exec like this 3 times now), then the solicitor would not be involved in actually dishing out the money.

Any extra involvement by the sol would involve another charge.
If I were you I'd just steel myself to go and collect the cheque.
If you are NC and there's bad feeling, maybe they want you to sign for it to be certain you've received it.
Is there no possibility of them doing an online transfer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now