Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity pay overpayment

(10 Posts)
user1476128913 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:04:51

Hoping someone can advise me with my maternity pay ? I have been paid my full
Salary by mistake , not smp . At first I just thought it was because I had so much holiday and time due accrued but as it's happened for more than 2 months I know it's an error and my HR department haven't informed payroll despite me giving them all the correct forms . My husband is self employed and we now have 5 children so to be honest I was jumping up and down at my normal pay and I can't afford to pay it back as it's all been swallowed up on bills .

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 10-Oct-16 21:07:26

What's your question? They will try to reclaim it. If you can't pay it back because it's been spent, you'll need to set up a mutually convenient payment plan.

Have you made sure you have evidence of telling them that they've overpaid you? Do it by email/letter. You need them to stop or your overpayment will be huge!

mamapants Mon 10-Oct-16 21:08:18

What is your question

MrsNuckyThompson Mon 10-Oct-16 21:13:39

The first 6 weeks of SMP is paid at 90% of your usual salary. Are you sure it isn't just this they've paid?

snowgirl1 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:18:21

Did youy get a bonus or work lots of overtime in the run-up to maternity leave? I believe the 90% is based on your average earnings in the 17(?) Weeks up to your mat leave.

LIZS Mon 10-Oct-16 21:20:21

I received more than full salary for 6 weeks as I received a bonus during the weeks it was calculated from.

Cheerybigbottom Mon 10-Oct-16 21:29:02

This happened to me, I just asked them to take it out my annual leave. If you haven't any left you will need to agree a monthly repayment with them, I know this can be taken from salary every month but I'm not sure about being taken from SMP.

user1471461436 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:32:54

I had this happen. I kept quiet. They realised much later and i had to repay, with no interest but threats of debt collectors! I wish i had been honest at the beginning

lozengeoflove Mon 10-Oct-16 21:35:41

This happened to me. I had to repay, still paying it off now. Whist still on maternity leave. angry
Our finance department are constantly fucking up.

sparechange Mon 10-Oct-16 21:45:17

Do you have any form of overtime, commission or bonus?

They calculate maternity pay by taking an average of your last 3 months payslips from around 25weeks. If any of those have an extra payment in them, you'll earn more on maternity than in work...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now