Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how much childcare can I claim? 70 or 85 %?

(7 Posts)
MyMorningHasBroken Mon 10-Oct-16 14:23:23

Hi, just about to start a new job. I have three children and going through divorce.
I'll be working about 22 hrs a week.
I've worked out my childcare costs will come to £700 (horrendous!) but I still have one in nursery and need to take time for commuting ect.
I spoke to an adviser today at hmrc and they said I could be able to claim 70% of the childcare. I'd previously read it was 85%?
I know it sounds bad as I'm grateful for any help but it would still leave me with a £200 bill for childcare each month and I won't be on much more than the min wage. With petrol, meals and the other extras I'm really wondering if I will manage any better, as housing help and council tax help will go down also.

MyMorningHasBroken Mon 10-Oct-16 14:25:18

My wages would probably come to about £660 a month before tax.

Babyroobs Mon 10-Oct-16 17:01:09

I think the maximum is now 70%. It was 85% a few years back but that is no longer possible.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 10-Oct-16 17:04:34

I think baby is right. It used to be 85% but dropped to 70% maximum a few years ago.

pinkpixie83 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:09:08

It's 70% but you should still work out better off.

Use turn to us or entitled to and try and work out some calculations.

I'm a single mum to three and have worked 25hrs/wk for the last 18 months and I was better off for doing it. My youngest was 2.5 when I started so although they are now in school I was paying a fair amount of childcare.

nannynick Mon 10-Oct-16 19:49:28

Page 10 of WTC5 says 70% and capped. With 2 or more children, it is capped at 70% of £300 per week. You will be below that cap with childcare cost of £700 per month.
wtc5 (PDF)

I agree that using Turn2Us would a good idea to see what benefits you are entitled to given your situation.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 11-Oct-16 15:35:21

It's up to 70% if you get tax credits and up to 80 % if you are on UC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now