Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

benefits entitled to if I did not return to work?

(50 Posts)
joesy43 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:06:00

Hi - I am having a really awful time at work and am considering not returning. Can anyone tell me what I would be entitled to please - I have 2 children of school age and my husband earns 25k. I have a considerable amount of savings also. Thank you.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 08-Oct-16 11:07:20

Use, it will work it out for you. I wouldn't have thought much though if your husband works and you have savings you can live off.

LIZS Sat 08-Oct-16 11:07:55

Probably very little. Have you tried

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 08-Oct-16 11:16:27

Also, if you choose to resign, you could be in for a long wait until you can claim anything

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sat 08-Oct-16 11:18:29

If you have received company mat pay you could have to pay it back

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 08-Oct-16 11:21:33

pooh good point piglet, yes I receive enhanced pay, 6 months at full pay and a further 3 at SMP, if I don't return for the specified minimum period I have to repay everything above SMP. are you on mat leave then OP?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Sat 08-Oct-16 11:21:52

ooooooh, obviously! not pooh!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 08-Oct-16 11:24:07

OP seems unlikely to be on mat leave if she's got two school aged children.

You would face up to 26 weeks of sanctions for resigning. Anything else would be dependant on your circumstances, although with your DHs salary and savings, it's unlikely you'll be entitled to much. It'll depend exactly how much you have in savings and whether you'll be searching for a new job.

Manumission Sat 08-Oct-16 11:24:26

Maybe a small amount of tax credits. Child benefit if you don't get it already.

If you're suffering from stress, have you considered taking some sick leave? You could job hunt while you were recovering.

EvansAndThePrince Sat 08-Oct-16 11:28:39

I left my job when I was 6months pregnant, and was still entitled to Mat pay from them (not relevant). I chose to be a SAHM, DD is now 18mo and DH earns about 17k. We get around £200 every 4 weeks in child tax credits, £300 combined child and working tax credits next year as he was earning closer to 20k last year. I doubt you'd get anything, maybe a tiny amount of CTC.

AyeAmarok Sat 08-Oct-16 11:32:48

Why don't you just look for another job?

unimagmative13 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:32:48

Probably nothing.

JSA won't be paid as you've given up your job.

Tax credit I think is £25k combined earnings

You could get another job rather than quit to get benefits.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Sat 08-Oct-16 11:33:03

OP seems unlikely to be on mat leave if she's got two school aged children.

Why hmm

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:35:00

Because she'd have mentioned two school aged children and a baby?

RhodaBull Sat 08-Oct-16 11:39:33

Highly unlikely, I would have thought, as your income is judged on the household income and also your savings count. If this wasn't the case a SAHM with a dh on £300K a year could claim benefits because her earnings were zero.

Unlockable Sat 08-Oct-16 11:44:49

I don't think you'll get much, if anything

I know a single parent can't just decide to give up work. There is another thread with a poster who will do any job at all. She doesn't care what it is just so she can feed her children and pay her rent because of DWP rules and cuts

joesy43 Sat 08-Oct-16 11:59:08

No my youngest is 10. I am currently on sick leave with work related stress and atm am looking for another job. The situation at work has made me ill. Is giving notice and resigning the same thing? So based on the fact I have savings, I would get nothing?

LIZS Sat 08-Oct-16 12:01:10

Yes they are same.

joesy43 Sat 08-Oct-16 12:01:20

Also I am not quitting to get benefits. I am being pushed out and need to know if I am entitled to anything.

LIZS Sat 08-Oct-16 12:03:54

How long have you been there?

AyeAmarok Sat 08-Oct-16 12:05:04

But if you have substantial savings you won't need benefits. You can live off your savings until they run out.

BaronessEllaSaturday Sat 08-Oct-16 12:05:06

Assuming you work full time and have done for the last couple of years then you should qualify for contribution based JSA rather than income based so the savings wouldn't affect that nor would you DH income. You would need to fulfill the criteria regards job hunting and you could be affected by resigning and it would only last 26 weeks but if they are trying to push you out there should be some back up for you.

joesy43 Sat 08-Oct-16 12:06:32

It says nothing for up to 26 weeks if I quit without good not going back because if I did I would be stressed/depressed class as 'without good reason'?

joesy43 Sat 08-Oct-16 12:08:06

I work part time and have been there 20+ years

LIZS Sat 08-Oct-16 12:08:28

No it probably wouldn't be enough. Could you try to claim esa, although the criteria are pretty strict even for wrag.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now