Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Paid In Error

(2 Posts)
SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Fri 07-Oct-16 13:33:10

I'm fuming.

I'm currently unemployed and accepted a job which, due to childcare, I couldn't start (the actual hours were unworkable around my child and the commute was over 90mins) so I declined in writing. I'm waiting on starting a new job in November with the Local Authority.

They've paid me.

At first I assumed it could be a tax rebate for the month (thinking maybe they've put a start date and end date in the payroll system, generating a refund on my tax allowance for the year to date) so put it in my savings account. However, it's been niggling me andhaving been on my personal tax account with, they've paid me salary and my account with the gov states I work at X and that I claim JSA.

I've rung them and they're in no hurry to ring me back. I've rung the HMRC to explain the situation as I don't want to be investigated for potential benefit fraud, but the thing that worries me the most is if the LA get wind of any kind of odd behaviour or fraud investigation, I could potentially have my job offer rescinded as it's dependent on a clean CRB check.

My DP reckons it won't come to that, but anyone fancy coaxing me down from the ceiling?!

cozietoesie Fri 07-Oct-16 14:40:49

They made a mistake and you told both them and HMRC about it? I wouldn't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now