Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I change tax credits to working tax credits and childcare?

(10 Posts)
MyMorningHasBroken Tue 04-Oct-16 17:50:28

Hi, I've been on income support and tax credits for a year and now have just been offered a job (25 hrs)
I'm just wondering how I go about changing it to WTC and if/how I can claim childcare costs asap?
How long does the process take and where do I start?
Thanks so much - overwhelmed!

Afreshstartplease Tue 04-Oct-16 17:52:26

You need to phone them with details of your employer , the hours you will work and expected income

Also details of childcare provider and costs (I think you can only do this a week in advance)

Afreshstartplease Tue 04-Oct-16 17:52:48

It's normally sorted in under two weeks in my experience

AndNowItsSeven Tue 04-Oct-16 17:54:52

You don't change it, it's still child tax credits , working or not. If you income is very low you may be able to claim wtc.
The wtc childcare element should be paid within a week.

Fleekorunique Tue 04-Oct-16 17:57:48

You can set up an account/login with HMRC online. I updated my details online last week, regarding childcare etc.

MyMorningHasBroken Tue 04-Oct-16 18:00:08

Thank you. Would they pay childcare straight to the provider ?
I'm guessing I might be entitled to wtc as it's not a high wage. (just starting out as a TA after being out of work raising my children and seperated from h last year when I started to claim.

Fleekorunique Tue 04-Oct-16 18:01:13

Account/login here
You can login anytime to amend or check details.

MyMorningHasBroken Tue 04-Oct-16 18:03:00

thanks Fleek, Doesn't sound too complicated - phew.

Fleekorunique Tue 04-Oct-16 18:03:04

They pay childcare costs to you, then you pay childcare. You need childcare providers address, name & registration number.

MyMorningHasBroken Tue 04-Oct-16 18:33:32

That's fine, my son will go to the same school nursery for more hours and I have an Ofsted registered minder lined up for the girls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now