Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Why has my insurance got an investigator involved?

(9 Posts)
blurredlines Tue 04-Oct-16 16:41:14

Wondering if anyone can help. Uninsuranced and stolen car hit my car last month. Currently deciding whether to make a claim ( £500 excess and loose ncb) or pay private. Anyway a company rang last week wanting to visit . They said they are investigating on my behalf on my insurance . They want to to see my car , driving license and car docs which I already have passed over. They said appt will take 2 hours at my house ! They also need a statement which I have given already.
Any ideas why this has been passed over to an investigator? The other motorist was arrested as he was wanted over other offences .

Kaelle Tue 04-Oct-16 19:01:34

Horrible situation because your insurance company is the only one involved. Call them first and find out if they in fact have sent an investigator! All accidents and claims are preyed upon by lots of 3rd parties. Whether you claim or not is I think something you can discuss openly with your insurer! It's better to be open and honest with them. Then, it will be a bit about balancing what you would have to pay vs the impact on your insurance record/premiums if you claimed.

PikachuSayBoo Tue 04-Oct-16 19:08:23

Definetely check your insurance company know about the investigator. I had a very convincing company ring me the day after an accident to say they were delivering my courtesy car. Which turned up and I accepted. Two days later I realised they were nothing to do with my insurance company!

PikachuSayBoo Tue 04-Oct-16 19:09:03

And isn't there some uninsured drivers claim bureau that can help with any loss of excess?

blurredlines Tue 04-Oct-16 19:25:53

Yes the insurance company have definitely sent them. I've already had someone from the insurance look at the damage to the car and he started to pick holes with the damage and what happened. It really pisses me off as I didn't ask for this to happen.

SheldonCRules Tue 04-Oct-16 20:11:50

If they have questionned the damage they have doubts on the claim and policy will say to instruct an investigator so check if the claim is valid, being "enhanced" etc.

Backingvocals Tue 04-Oct-16 20:17:57

Dsis had a similar situation with a domestic burglary which the insurance company put an investigator on. They eventually told her they thought it was fraudulent (the police didn't - they actually recovered some of the stolen items from a local known criminal so there was no question for the police that the crime happened). It was a horrible thing to go through - they dragged out for six months and were quite aggressive and then quite suddenly dropped the investigation and paid up.

It turned out from talking to people in the insurance industry that they randomly put a percentage of claims through the mill to test them. A proportion will drop the claim because it's a really horrible experience. First to experience the crime or damage and then to have your integrity questioned over weeks and weeks.

Hope this isn't what happens to you but all you can do is repeat what has happened, calmly.

angeldiver Tue 04-Oct-16 20:22:38

It could be because of the person who hit you.
My df was in an accident, £3k of damage to his car but no injuries to anybody.
Lo and behold, other cars occupants went on to claim whiplash. An investigator came to interview my df. My df's first question to the guy was was it him under suspicion. No, it wasn't, it was the other lads.
It was really nothing for him to worry about, hopefully it'll be the for you.

Nepotism Tue 04-Oct-16 20:28:27

I was investigated many years ago when my car was stolen in unusual circumstances. Within a few minutes the guy said I had nothing to worry about and it clearly wasn't fraudulent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now