Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How much do your bills go up in the winter?

(5 Posts)
Leopard12 Tue 04-Oct-16 14:54:42

I've been paying a direct debit for the last few months over summer, but never paid bills over winter expect shared houses where I've no idea how much we used, the direct debit is around double what we've spent each month over summer, just wondering if that about right or if we've been under or overpaying based on a full years average so I can plan if we're going to need to up the amount soon.

dobbythefuckingjizzelf Tue 04-Oct-16 15:09:22

I think ours stay similar or go down

But we have no mains gas and in winter although the lights are on longer the log burner is on constantly burning wood and heating the hot water so we save on immersion heater electric for the hot water

Leopard12 Tue 04-Oct-16 15:19:49

I think our electricity will probably go down as my OH has been off for summer holidays and I've been off and about to start full time work but we have a combi boiler and will be using CH, no fireplace or anything, not used it yet, so hoping we won't be using it too much but probably a few hours in the morning and some evenings.

cozietoesie Tue 04-Oct-16 16:31:43

Mine go up with extra heating and lighting but the 'enforced saving' of the summer months usually covers it. Lots of luck.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Oct-16 19:39:20

It's worth wearing jumpers, thick socks, lots of layers around the house. Wearing t shirts in winter will cost lots.

Look on energy saving trust & moneysaving expert for tips on winter proofing the house and conserving energy.

If you're both out all day you could set the heating to come on 20 minutes before you get in. No point heating an empty house.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now