Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Benefit Tax

(11 Posts)
frannyfoo Mon 03-Oct-16 11:42:52

Hi, does anyone know can revenue automatically tell if you've earned over 60k and need to pay back child benefit? Basically, if I dont tell them, will I get caught out?

CandODad Mon 03-Oct-16 11:43:46

Yes they can and yes you will.

frannyfoo Mon 03-Oct-16 12:00:56

Does anyone know how the process actually works?

Marmitelover55 Mon 03-Oct-16 15:58:58

I think it will be obvious from your P60 of if self-employed from your tax return.

AveEldon Mon 03-Oct-16 16:15:19

All employers have to submit their payroll data electronically so the revenue have all the records

Cabrinha Tue 04-Oct-16 23:24:11

Just call the HMRC helpline (I always find they are well informed, helpful and friendly) and ask them - they're the ones best placed to explain the exact process to you.

And stop being a skank trying to steal it.

TellMeStraight Tue 04-Oct-16 23:34:27

Yes of course you'll get caught out. you numbty

If you get paid over £50k and claim
Child Allowance you're supposed to complete an annual Self Assessment. Obviously if you're self employed you should be filling in your SA anyway.

Either way, if you try to lie to HMRC they will hunt you down like a thief. You can fully expect to be taken to court/made bankrupt/put in to prison for benefit fraud. Perhaps all 3. Quite rightly too.

ChrissieLatham Tue 04-Oct-16 23:40:26

What happens if your partner earns above the amount but you don't? How do they know you are connected if not married?

CookieDoughKid Wed 05-Oct-16 11:32:01

Exactly my question Chrissie as I think this happens ALOT!

Cabrinha Wed 05-Oct-16 16:50:45

Given that HMRC have access to your P60, self assessment and birth date, and CB claim I would imagine that they periodically run a check through their own records.

Pretty simple to look for a match of:
- earns over £50K
- resides at same address as similar aged adult in receipt of CB

Misselthwaite Fri 07-Oct-16 14:10:22

You need to complete self assessment tax return. If you do it online then the deadline is Jan 17. You'll have to pay any tax or child benefit that's been over paid back then but that will only be for tax year 2015-2016. You can also do things to reduce your income for child benefit purposes. DH now pays a lot more into his pension.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now