Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone recommend a savings account without instant access?

(19 Posts)
callycat1 Fri 30-Sep-16 06:52:44

I just don't have the self control not to dip in when I can readily withdraw money unfortunately.

I'm trying to get more on top of finances and obviously one thing I need to do is save up. But all the savings accounts on high street banks come with instant access.

Any recommendations?

specialsubject Fri 30-Sep-16 09:53:38

Fixed rate bonds - many available, terms up to five years.

Why cant you gain self control on this?

callycat1 Fri 30-Sep-16 11:10:28

Just can't, when I know it's there I spend it.

Don't you have to put a few thousand in for fixed rate bonds?

Diddlydokey Fri 30-Sep-16 11:13:16

www.investmentsense.co.uk/best-buy-savings-accounts/

callycat1 Fri 30-Sep-16 11:14:40

That's not what I need though that's just a list of instant access ISAs. I have one but there's nothing in it as its too easy to transfer money between one account to another so I need to put it somewhere I can't get at it!

ImperialBlether Fri 30-Sep-16 11:28:06

Is there anyone you can trust who can hold onto the password and not give it to you even if you beg and scream?!

Diddlydokey Fri 30-Sep-16 11:35:19

It isn't - there are fixed rate bonds and notice accounts on the list.

Diddlydokey Fri 30-Sep-16 11:36:07

www.investmentsense.co.uk/best-buy-savings-accounts/notice-accounts-approx-1-month/

Diddlydokey Fri 30-Sep-16 11:36:49

Or maybe a regular saver might work - you only get the interest if you put the money in and keep it there. The First Direct one does a great rate IIRC

Freshprincess Fri 30-Sep-16 11:42:40

I have a nationwide postal account set up years ago for similar reasons. I have to post a withdrawal slip, wait for a cheque to arrive and then pay it in the bank. It's a massive faff, so It stays there unless I really need it. (You can transact in the bank as well, but I threw the bank book away and asked them not to send me a cash card).
No idea if they still run them.

callycat1 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:35:54

I know but honestly the interest makes no difference - when I decide I want it I want it!

Imperial maybe that could work I could ask a friend it's just a bit embarrassing!

cozietoesie Fri 30-Sep-16 13:42:54

I think you need to look at why you need to spend because giving it to someone to look after can cause its own problems. Crack the 'having to' spend money and you've cracked most of your difficulties.

callycat1 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:44:18

Well yes but a big part of that IS saving so back to the original question really smile

cozietoesie Fri 30-Sep-16 13:49:42

Are you trying to save too much do you think? Perhaps smaller and steady would suit your life better?

callycat1 Fri 30-Sep-16 13:51:18

Honestly I'm terrible. When I know it's there and I'm running short I just transfer. So if I put £50 in and then week 4 of the month I want to go out for a drink is just transfer £20 but if it was somewhere I couldn't get it I wouldn't do you get me? smile

Freshprincess Fri 30-Sep-16 14:16:10

Is there someone you would trust to keep some money safe for you? perhaps give them all the banking details and not let you know them unless it's a dire emergency?
My dad is holding some emergency money for me (it's a long story).

callycat1 Fri 30-Sep-16 15:02:51

I don't know really. I could ask a friend but I'd feel a bit embarrassed admitting I can't manage my own money blush

Clarabellb Sat 01-Oct-16 00:03:50

HSBC do a regular saver. You can't touch it for 12 months...you have to save between £25 and £250 a month and interest rate is also not bad.

Note3 Thu 13-Oct-16 14:50:15

I have a Nationwide ISA which I chose to only be able to access by going physically into the bank with my passbook (no online access set up). The branch is only ten mins walk but I can honestly never be bothered to go there so I don't touch it.

If that's still too tempting then I'd suggest getting a branch access only savings Acc at a bank in a different town. For example one that is say 20-30 mins drive away. Too far for you to nip in impulsively but near enough to go to when you do need money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now