Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Shattered shower screen - Advice please

(18 Posts)
katzg Mon 05-Feb-07 13:02:37

Ok this is going to be a long one so bare with me.

On the 19th of January 2007 our 4 year old daughter pushed our glass shower screen to enable her to get into the bath. The shower screen shattered showering her, the bath and the floor with fragments of glass. Fortunately she was not badly hurt, she sustained a few cuts on her arm and fingers. However a few dents were caused in our bath and also the base of the bath is now scratched. The bath was full of water and also our children?s toys. In addition to the bath being filled with glass, fragments were sent all over the floor and the bath mat and some towels were also covered in glass.

An engineer from the glass compnay came out and had a look and took away the rements of the screen and said that the scren had been correctly fitted.

The company have said that the glass wasn't faulty and that it shattered safely. They accept no responisbility for the glass breaking.

They have offered us a replacement screen and a kit to remove the scratches from the bath.

We would like a little bit more from them, we want them to come and refit the screen, we'd paid for thefirst oneto be fitted. The scratch remover kit wont remove the big dents out of the bath we were looking for a big of compensation for this (bath and shower screen less than 1 year old), also compensation for the toys and towels that were ruined by the glass.

so what do you think?

Hulababy Mon 05-Feb-07 13:04:55

Nightmare katz - but keep pushing for more. They want you to give in at the first hurdle. You could go down the small claims court, but depends on your case - DH's friends might know more maybe about your chances???

katzg Mon 05-Feb-07 13:09:45

thanks

its a real pain, they did at least apologies for DD's injuries but they just maintain that the glass shattered correctly and that they (how suprising!) couldn't find fault with the glass.

i've not replied to them, will get DH to talk to them, he does a much better cross voice than me!

slug Mon 05-Feb-07 14:03:35

Start muttering about Trading Standards and merchandise needing to be "fit for purpose" (which is the phrase in the Sale of Goods Act.

A shower screen that shatters after a push from a 4 year old and manages to injur here is not "fit for purpose"

Hulababy Mon 05-Feb-07 14:06:30

It simply shouldn't shatter after a year of use.

Go for it - keep fighting - we are on a roll now with our claim - have had an offer of money; but have declined so far....

katzg Mon 05-Feb-07 16:59:26

thanks

will get DH to mention not fit for use, forgot to use that in the initial letter

katzg Tue 06-Feb-07 21:28:16

bump for any more pearls of wisdom, DH phoning tomorrow

Hulababy Wed 07-Feb-07 16:09:23

Got any further with this Katz?

katzg Wed 07-Feb-07 16:11:23

will ask DH when i get back from work he was supposed to phone! bet he hasn't

katzg Wed 07-Feb-07 16:23:36

have spoken to DH they are offering to fit it and the bath repair kit but won't budge on anymore, they are adament the glass wasn't faulty and the new screen is a goodwill jesture

Hulababy Wed 07-Feb-07 16:24:33

Shame you can't get them to sort it all out. Are you accepting this now, or taking it further?

katzg Wed 07-Feb-07 16:29:02

not sure, think we may just take it because of everything else thats going on! gas pipes ect. The other thing will be to contact the company should sold it to us and see if they can do anything but again i doubt it!

happystory Wed 07-Feb-07 16:37:38

Don't know if this any use but this happened to us, ours was the shower cubicle door, it shattered in the middle of the night which made us think Armageddon had come! It was less than a year old. Supplying company were very good, checked no-one was injured, came within a week and fitted new door.

Don't know if this is b****s but the fitter said the glass can have a 'memory' and if it's has been banged /bumped prior to fitting, it can just GO. Obviously ours wasn't in use at the time.

Have you thought about your contents insurance for the other things?

katzg Thu 08-Feb-07 09:34:33

Thanks for that - the person at the company said this too but since we can't prove we didn't cause the bang in the past, i think we will accept their offer.

Eddas Thu 08-Feb-07 15:56:16

my dh works in a bathroom showroom so i asked what he thougth about this. He said they shouldn't shatter and that if it was him he would demand a new screen, free fitting and for them to come and fix the bath. He said if the fixing of the bath wasn't up to scratch he'd demand a new one!

As he deals with customer complaints in his job i'd imagine you'd be within you rights to ask for this. Think it's terrible that it shattered

slug Thu 08-Feb-07 17:12:51

Have you considered the small claims court?

Sometimes the mere threat is enough for them to move their sorry arses.

katzg Fri 09-Feb-07 11:32:13

thanks happystory - they have offered to supply and fit new screen and also give us a kit which will get the scratched out, think the fitter might eb doing that too. We were just hopign they would replace dd's toys which were covered in glass when it happened especially as she was also covered in glass too!

Chezney81710 Sun 10-Jul-16 07:18:10

I've woken up this morning to a mighty crash!
Ran into my sons room and swooped him in my arms...
Our shatter proof glass door just exploded!
Don't understand it, it's been up a year and it's just randomly shattered into small pieces...
Glass EVERYWHERE!!!
No one has used it since yesterday morning when I shower and we were out all day yesterday.
My little boys potty is right beside it too, doesn't bare thinking about!
They shouldn't just randomly shatter, I'd half understand it if it had been banged but it's fixed onto bath and doesn't move so????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now