Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Buying a house

(10 Posts)
mumoftwoandover Fri 16-Sep-16 09:47:19

Im a first time buyer but still not married to my partner. As a parent I stay at home looking after our child and he works but I am putting some money in from my parents savings to help with the deposit and his dad is also putting some higher amount in.

As we both been married before and we (at least I can spk for myself) dont want to risk any more(maybe it justifies we not getting married yet) losses for the future, his dad will transfer his amount straight to the solicitors bank account and me (stupidly) already transfered my part to our joint account.

I would like to hear from experienced mums if makes any difference buying a house without being married in case of future divorce (not that I wish it to happen again!!!) will I have the right of 50% share or not ?

Other thing is, should I keep my part in my bank account instead of joint account and pay directly to the solicitor for the same reasons in case iwe split in the future ?

Bear jn mind that I have a copy of my dads deposit in my own bank account to prove it.

I know jt might be silly but when you end up a previous relationship empty handed you have to be extra cautions in a second one and I dont want to fail again..

Thank you

Drowzeee Fri 16-Sep-16 10:23:53

If you buy the house in joint names then you will have the right to your share. Have you actually found a house to buy yet?

his dad will transfer his amount straight to the solicitors bank account and me (stupidly) already transfered my part to our joint account

What are you stupid in transferring your share of the deposit to your jouint account - dont you trust your partner? If you split in the future it win;t make any difference that your part was paid into that accunt and your partner's share was paid directly to the solicitor.

mumoftwoandover Fri 16-Sep-16 12:47:23

Hi drowzee,

Thank you for you answer,
Yes we found a house .
Good to know that not being married doesn't affect our shares in the property.
Is not that I don't trust him now but life is always uncertain and we never know whats gonna cross our ways in the future isn't it ? If I knew I wouldn't have divorced my first partner and with 40 years old and two kids I do think that buying a house and investing in 30 years mortgage is a big thing that should be carefully thought about anyway.
I'm just being careful of my steps...

Thank you smile

Cabrinha Fri 16-Sep-16 18:53:55

Even if you hadn't sadly been through getting burned before, you should see a solicitor. The only way to guarantee your separate payments give you specific shares is to do it legally.

mumoftwoandover Wed 21-Sep-16 08:21:28

Thank you Cabrinha smile
(Are u brazilian ?)

Cabrinha Wed 21-Sep-16 08:28:56

But a friend at uni was and I liked the name and it does for a random username!

Momzilla82 Wed 21-Sep-16 08:32:54

If you buy as tenants in common and specify who put what towards the deposit then you will get that money back in the case of a sale before the rest is split in two.

pullingmyhairout1 Wed 21-Sep-16 08:36:24

As Mom said you need to buy as tenants in common.

takesnoprisoners Wed 21-Sep-16 08:38:58

When we bought the house, we had to fill up a form (solicitor/mortgage) which specifically asked about the status: Tenants in common, partnership, spouse etc. I thought that should cover you well.

mumoftwoandover Wed 21-Sep-16 09:04:59

Thank you very much all . I will read the article smile

And that's a cute name Cabrinha smile haha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now