Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Child Tax Credits - HELP ME !!!!!!

(3 Posts)
ALYP58 Thu 15-Sep-16 12:14:09

My first post here so patience please ! My 16 year old left school for sixth form College A Levels so advised HMRC of this in March 2016 . Had a tax credit award notice in August saying I had been overpaid so had only 66% payments then nothing at all from 19/08/16 !!
I am disabled on higher rate PIP/ESA so this has been stressful with phoning and online chatting for 3 weeks to no avail , with advisors telling me " its waiting for an update , ring back " its a technical problem, ring back " " I can't tell you anything at all about it its processing " !!!! , plus other stupid 'get off the line ' answers
I finally phoned this morning and spoke to a voice that actually seemed to care and once again went through the whole debacle , was put on hold while she looked into the matter further. She came back on and told me that she had spoken to a colleague who advised her to refer it for a manual payment as she was not able to do so herself and I asked her to refer this a complaint not against her but HMRC as I have phoned and online chatted every day for 3 weeks , which she apologised for on their behalf and promised to do so . So why do I feel uneasy that nothing will be done again ?

ALYP58 Thu 15-Sep-16 12:17:45

I should have also said that I have no idea what I have received as an overpayment as none of my circumstances have changed in past 2 years until my daughter went to college this term

dawnz Fri 16-Sep-16 22:50:22

If your child (age 16-19) is in approved education, then your tax credits should not be affected! The govt site stipulates "approved education" as:

Full-time (more than an average of 12 hours a week supervised study or course-related work experience) and can include ~
A levels or similar - eg Pre-U, International Baccalaureate
Scottish Highers
NVQs and other vocational qualifications up to level 3
home education - if started before your child turned 16
traineeships in England
Courses are not approved if paid for by an employer or ‘advanced’, eg a university degree or BTEC Higher National Certificate.


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now