Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Need to work but goverment wont help...

(5 Posts)
Lillylou1991 Tue 13-Sep-16 07:32:40

Hey all.
My LO is 9 months old and weve been living in rented accomodation since june. My partner works 48 hours as standard over 4 days (2 days then 2 nights) but also does all the overtime he can manage without harming his health through stress.
I get housing benefits... well they say im entitled to £300 however i have to give in a payslip every month and if my partners works overtime that drops right down. Ive spoken to the council and they literally told us to stop working overtime but it doesnt work out better for us at all!
We do get council tax help of 20 a month and ive just started recieving child tax and got a letter from council saying theyre reducing my housing benifit by 20 a month because i get child tax credit.
I literally cannot survive off 21 a week with a 9 month old but the council think thats fine... and i cant afford to pay for childcare and i have no family who are able to look after LO for free and my partners not on set days rather rolling 4 days on 4 days off so i cant plan my work around him. Even going back part time will mean my goverment benefits will most likely fully stop and again, childcare will most likely costs more than id get.
What do i do? Im really worried and feel like the worlds worst mum for nt being able to look after my son like others can. sad

Drowzeee Tue 13-Sep-16 09:05:24

I literally cannot survive off 21 a week with a 9 month old but the council think thats fine

No, the council know that your partner works and will be expecting him to support you and your child. They are not expecting you to survive on 21pw.

Lillylou1991 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:25:15

No course not but hes on minimum wage working to pay for rent and bills and food and council tax and we have next to nothing left after to buy things like clothes or emergency repairs that our knob of a landlord refuses to pay for.
So on a weekly basis i have 21 pounds

Rockchick1984 Tue 13-Sep-16 09:50:52

Can you post a list of all your household income and outgoings? Based on what you've said here you shouldn't be struggling to this extent, there may be areas you can cut back or other things you are eligible for smile

Babyroobs Tue 13-Sep-16 10:39:29

If you worked you would almost certainly get help with childcare costs through the childcare element of working tax credits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now