Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credits

(5 Posts)
user1472133275 Thu 25-Aug-16 15:07:45

Hi
I'm very recently separated from my husband. He is a high earner, me not so. Our financial split was agreed to even on the value of our incomes/assets on the day of the split. We have 50/50 custody of our 2 children - yet my husband gives a generous maintenance payment. I am now in receipt of working tax credits. Should this benefit be split between me and my (soon to be ex) husband? or is my financial affairs and the tax credits non of his business?? HELP..........

imwithspud Thu 25-Aug-16 15:09:51

No I don't think so, he is a high earner so under the criteria he probably wouldn't qualify anyway.

IAmNotAMindReader Thu 25-Aug-16 15:12:43

The tax credits you receive are based on your income. You are supposed to be separating your finances so why should he get a portion of it? I assume when your finances were joint you didn't make a joint a claim as you were not entitled to due to his high earnings. The working tax credits is supposed to help your finances. If he was earing a low enough amount to qualify then he would make a claim of his own in his own name.

IAmNotAMindReader Thu 25-Aug-16 15:12:53

*earning

user1472133275 Fri 26-Aug-16 13:59:35

Thank you. I was so uncertain as to whether it was immoral of me to not share this benefit, as I have been told it is for the benefit of the Children to which we share custody. I have not even told him I am receiving payments - and would hate to come across as being deceitful. But should he be aware that I am now getting additional payments from elsewhere. Should I be up front so that he can re-visit whether he feels that he still wants to contribute as much as he is currently??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now