Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Credit card for 'homemaker'

(11 Posts)
shaktar Wed 24-Aug-16 13:46:03

Sorry - hate that term..

I'm very lucky to be going to New York later this year and am thinking about getting a credit card to reduce chances of getting stung with exchange rates etc.

I've had a look on moneysavingexpert but can't work out what to use as income as I don't have any, though the household does.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

BIWI Wed 24-Aug-16 13:47:53

Use the household income. Presumably you'll be using that to pay for the card?

cozietoesie Wed 24-Aug-16 13:48:57

Could you get a 'second' card on anyone else's?

shaktar Wed 24-Aug-16 14:11:16

Thanks for the quick responses.

yes, it would be the household income but I had a quick look at the application for one of the cards recommended for travelling and it doesn't specify household income just 'income'.

nennyrainbow Wed 24-Aug-16 14:28:00

Could you put in a joint application for a credit card even if your DP doesn't use it? Then your income would be your joint income.

BIWI Wed 24-Aug-16 15:53:49

Surely you can claim household income as your own though?

shaktar Wed 24-Aug-16 16:50:03

Thank you.

That's the thing - from that I've read it's not my income, it's his as if I claimed it as mine and he did as well then we could double up on credit applications (does that make sense..!)

I think I'll just have to take a punt and apply for one - though am so loathe to endanger my credit score.

Viviennemary Wed 24-Aug-16 19:31:07

But from the Credit card company's point of view if you don't have an income then you have no way of repaying the debt if it is in your name only. I think it would have to be a joint application unless the person whose income it is agrees to take responsibility for the debt.

delilahbucket Thu 25-Aug-16 13:11:32

American express use household income rather than individual. I don't know what their charges are to use abroad though.

Paddybare Thu 25-Aug-16 18:24:29

I would advise using the eligibility checker on moneysavingexpert or similar which will perform a soft credit check not visible to lenders. This will give you a very good idea of chance of acceptance and therefore if you should make a full application.

insancerre Thu 25-Aug-16 18:28:03

Get dh to apply for one, then add you as an additional card holder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now