Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Re-mortgage with £23k credit card & OD??

(9 Posts)
cahcah Tue 23-Aug-16 12:08:52

How likely is this? We have a 16 ish year outstanding mortgage of £182,000 and I can see that we can now get an even better interest rate.

We have an £83k income, mortgage outgoings of £1100. There is about £3k in various 'pots' saved up for regular outgoing stick as cars, childcare etc.

No other credit and we have no bad credit history....

We use some of our £1k OD most months though.

The reason for the credit cards is not living expenses but because its cheaper to pay the 0% credit and keep those same £20k of funds invested overseas whilst they're making a good return.

There is a 2nd overdraft of £2.2k that pays for the minimum payments on the credit cards - so this money is currently just recycled around iyswim.

I don't want to risk a credit search if it's unlikely. Any IFAs here willing to give an opinion please? DH thinks this is likely to be acceptable, I think not...

19lottie82 Tue 23-Aug-16 14:00:13

Can you not get a new deal with your current provider, without a credit check? You may even be able to do it online without even going into a branch.

However, it does show signs of poor management of your finances if you have a Household income of £83k yet you're still in your overdraft every month.

CanandWill Tue 23-Aug-16 14:02:38

How much is your current house worth? You need to order a credit report for yourself and your husband to check your credit rating.

cahcah Tue 23-Aug-16 16:50:16

Agree that OD use each month looks poor sad We aren't very disciplined in this way...

cahcah Tue 23-Aug-16 16:55:06

I did check the credit file about 2 years ago and it was spotless. (That is before some of the investment really outperformed and made overpaying the mortgage each month look like the least beneficial option...)

If I do a credit check won't it leave a bad mark...?!

Not sure my bank would switch mortgages without re-doing a check... Not sure they have the best alternative deals anyway but I accept that they may have lower rates...

Just5minswithDacre Tue 23-Aug-16 16:58:13

Checking your own file is completely neutral.

LBOCS2 Tue 23-Aug-16 17:05:20

You can check your own credit file without leaving a footprint.

FWIW, we remortgaged earlier this year with the same building society (Accord) and I was a very simple box ticking exercise - we just sent some forms back saying that yes, we did want to change mortgage products, and we put an 'x' next to the one we wanted. Simple - and no credit check.

allthebestplease Tue 23-Aug-16 17:08:11

What have you got to lose? If you get a good check and so you can remortgage then you'll save on repayments.
If you get a poor report, you sort out what needs to be done to up your score, e.g overdraft, then redo report and get a remortgage.
If you cant get a remortgage you've not lost anything as you keep paying what you have done.

If you've never made late payments and you have plenty of equity I reckon brokers would be chomping at the bit...

cahcah Tue 23-Aug-16 17:23:41

I didn't know that re credit files!

Yes we have a fair bit of equity.

It's worth a punt I suppose. Will check the files first.

Thank you for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now