Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SSP - help!

(8 Posts)
Glitterball86 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:27:12

Hello,

I returned to work, part time, following MAT leave in May this year. I currently receive housing benefit , tax credits, child benefit and of course my wages.
I've been signed off work (I'm pregnant again) for 4 weeks now and my employer has informed me their sick pay has now expired so I will now be receiving SSP, this is fine but do I need to
Notify Housing benefits/tax credits? Not sure if I will recieced any additional help but my income has now decreased by about £600 per month and I'm
Not able to work due to problems I'm having in pregnancy (due in Jan)
Thanks in advance

jimbob1 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:30:26

Inform them just incase. They get funny about everything!

AnotherEmma Sun 21-Aug-16 16:31:47

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and sorry you're having problems - hope it's nothing serious and gets better.

To answer your question, yes your reduction in income will affect your tax credits and housing benefit, so you need to notify both HMRC and your council. If you want to work out exactly how your benefits will be affected, you could use a calculator eg www.entitledto.co.uk or Turn2Us.

AnotherEmma Sun 21-Aug-16 16:32:34

By the way, do you have a partner who lives with you and if so do they work? As that obviously affects benefit entitlement.

Glitterball86 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:32:45

Thought that may be the case, thank you, will give them both a call tommorow smile

Glitterball86 Sun 21-Aug-16 16:37:09

And no, I'm a single parent and now am
Panicking slightly about how I'm going to be able to afford to live :/

AnotherEmma Sun 21-Aug-16 17:06:23

Don't panic OP, I think your tax credits and/or Housing Benefit will increase. Sorry I didn't make that clear in my previous post! Do work it out using a benefits calculator as it will hopefully reassure you.

Glitterball86 Sun 21-Aug-16 17:23:23

Ahhhh ok, thanks will ring them and see what they say, it won't load on my phone at the moment but will try again later , thank you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now