Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bankrupt and frozen bank account

(9 Posts)
HarHer Sun 21-Aug-16 12:16:00

Hello,

Due to difficult circumstances, I have had to become bankrupt. I thought I was following all he correct procedures, but obviously I missed the bit that said my bank account would be frozen once he bankruptcy order was made. Now I cannot withdraw any money from my account, nor can any money be paid in.

My wages are paid into the account on 26th of his month. If I spoke to the Insolvency Team at my current bank, would they allow me to set up a very basic new account into which my wages can be paid? If not, what alternative payment methods could my employer use (I work for a university so I don't think they will make cash in hand arrangements)?

Thanks

CloudedPensive Sun 21-Aug-16 15:46:22

Credit union account or a few pre paid cards allow wages to be paid in.

Hope things improve for you soon.

Glitterball86 Sun 21-Aug-16 15:50:55

Call and speak with your bank! I was able to up a very basic account with mine (Halifax) when this happened - they also arranged for the money left in there to be transferred into my new account, I just had to let my employers no my new bank details!! They were very helpful and non judgemental as well!

Andbabymakesthree Sun 21-Aug-16 15:53:20

This is the forum you need to read and digest. very naive to already been at bankruptcy stage and not know about your banking arrangements post court order.

Stop your wages going into old account. They can still be paid in but you WILL NOT be able to access.

Andbabymakesthree Sun 21-Aug-16 15:53:20

This is the forum you need to read and digest. very naive to already been at bankruptcy stage and not know about your banking arrangements post court order.

Stop your wages going into old account. They can still be paid in but you WILL NOT be able to access.

Andbabymakesthree Sun 21-Aug-16 15:54:04

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=177c26cec43cd9ba20298a0ad4dacce1&f=136

titchy Sun 21-Aug-16 15:58:41

You need to tell your payroll URGENTLY - our payroll is finalised 10 days before actual payday so they will need to do a manual amendment otherwise your salary will go into your existing account.

lougle Sun 21-Aug-16 16:10:23

1. Look up the list of bank accounts available to bankrupts.
2. Phone payroll to ask for a redirect or a cheque.
3. Phone your Official Receiver and ask to be able to use the money if it is deposited. The OR can authorise the transfer of monies from the account or the unfreezing of the account.

SwearyGodmother Sun 21-Aug-16 18:08:18

The OR can't take your salary for your living expenses, but it's a total ball ache to get it sorted if they do get paid in. Can you have your salary this month paid into a friend or family member's account so you have some time to sort out payment of your salary for next month?

There are banks that will allow you an account when you're bankrupt, but they tend not to advertise that they do. Speak to your bank and they may let you - it's unlikely if you owe them lots of money though - if not just do some research.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now