Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Believe I have been mis-sold loan by Student Loans Company in the 90's.

(9 Posts)
help234 Sun 14-Aug-16 13:53:06

Does anyone please know who I can complain to about being mis-sold a student loan by the Student Loan Company in the 90's? I was neither given suitable advice nor made aware of the risks involved, for example that the loan could be sold to a 3rd party company who could harass me for money that I don't owe (Erudio in my case). My situation matches perfectly www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/financial-mis-selling-what-to-do-if-you-think-its-affected-you. However, the Financial Ombudsman say they do not cover financial products sold before 2001 as per here www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/news/speech/2013/CW-BILA-conference.pdf. Can anyone suggest what body I need to complain to?

ThisisMrsNicolaHicklin Sun 14-Aug-16 19:46:49

My loan, of similar vintage to yours, got sold on to someone else. I contacted the SLC and somehow they took control of it again so I was able to pay them rather than the shady people who were chasing me. This was about 15 years
ago so I'm not sure if you could do it now.

JellyBelly89 Thu 18-Aug-16 22:04:36

MoneySavingExpert have a big section on this if you do a search, might be helpful.

mishmash1979 Wed 24-Aug-16 08:01:34

Just had a phone call from Erudio this evening. Apparently I am £250 in arrears even though I am in deferment??? Bloody sharks!!!

Pickitup Thu 25-Aug-16 15:20:03

Mishmash, i feel your pain. I've never earnt enough to repay my loan and am in arrears (how this is im not sure as the letters / contact is vague at best) Minimal loan amount in the first place but I cant foresee I will ever repay as I have only recently returned to work pt and my earnings are WELL below the threshold.
Last years deferment was interesting as Dh had to write a letter saying he supported me as I wasnt working. But they tried to get me to pay even though I was actually earning. (Classed child benefit as my income which got my hackles up)

About to fill in this years form but came on here for advice as I know that signing the actual form gives them more rights than they should have.
Anyone help on that?

myheadsamess Thu 25-Aug-16 20:44:30

Yes me too - I didn't realise they included child benefit as income. This takes me over the threshold and means I'll be starting to pay it back. Apparently £86 pm - I don't have a spare £6 pm never mind £86 blush

TaIkinPeace Thu 25-Aug-16 21:44:32

how can you have been mis sold a student loan ?
You went to Uni, you took out the loan rather than pay your way

the changes in terms due to resale of the debt, yup, nail them on that
but the loan will be valid as you attended the course

BusStopBetty Thu 25-Aug-16 21:48:57

I think that if the child benefit is paid to the father then it doesn't count as your income. Do check though.

ChunkyHare Sun 28-Aug-16 15:58:31

My recollection of getting a student loan was to go into an office, fill out a form and leave.

No advice, no talking me through it, just fill in this form and you'll get money. So I do understand that view point. I was just 18, had never had more than a Saturday job with extra summer holiday jobs and my parents never talked me through anything like that. This was in 1992.

I assume these days that someone would talk you through a loan. I am fortunate that I have never had one since.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now