Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Conveyancing

(10 Posts)
Sunshineboo Fri 12-Aug-16 15:20:10

Hello all - just trying to get a feel for how much conveyancing should cost.

We are selling for 147 500, we have a mortgage and the mortgage is joint. Our estate agents have quoted us over £900, which includes £150 to deal with mortgage.

It's been a while since we bought/sold, but seems expensive to me....

Would appreciate some mumsnet wisdom as to whether It is expensive.

Thanks

Sunshineboo Fri 12-Aug-16 16:04:41

Also, would be really interested to know whether anyone has used one of the online companies and if so, how it went.

Tha ks

Sunshineboo Fri 12-Aug-16 16:05:10

Thanks sorry

Drowzeee Fri 12-Aug-16 16:43:10

I don't think that's too bad to be honest, it's not even 1%.

When you say 'deal with the mortgage' what exactly do you mean? Estate Agents don't usually have anything to do with your mortgage.

Sootica Fri 12-Aug-16 16:51:12

I'd always go for a high street solicitor with a personal reputation to lose and where you can drop docs off at reception and talk to them face to face if it goes wrong
Estate agents will be getting a cut back from a national firm in all likelihood
Compare your solicitor to how much you are paying your estate agent and your solicitor is legally responsible for pointing out defects in the legal title of your property - your estate agent has zero responsibility

specialsubject Fri 12-Aug-16 16:59:11

Not the estate agent recomnended firm. Not a super cheap online one. And probably not a pricey local firm either, often pig slow and bone idle. Shop around and ask
- fixed price
- response times
- deputising arrangements ( if unwell or on holiday)
- no complete no fee

PurpleDaisies Fri 12-Aug-16 17:04:32

That's very similar to what we're paying on our sale (a bit less that yours but not much).

We found the cheap quotes often didn't include everything that you needed so ended up paying more later anyway.

Sunshineboo Fri 12-Aug-16 17:33:28

Thanks for all your replies. Will do a bit of shopping round locally then and will ask those very helpful questions above.

I know it is not much compared to estate agents, however they are really pushing us to use their recommended service, glad I asked the question before saying yes.

It's all much more expensive than I was expecting....

specialsubject Fri 12-Aug-16 18:52:07

I got our solicitor from reallymoving - middling price, excellent service. The other parties used the high street firms who were awful .

Iamdazedandconfused Sun 14-Aug-16 10:31:24

Make a list of local firms and call for a quote, OP. I suppose it depends where you are but I'm a trainee solicitor and that would be very expensive for a sale up in my neck of the woods, certainly not normal in my city to charge an extra fee for "dealing with the mortgage" either.

Make sure you check if the fee quoted includes VAT and disbursements, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now